Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Gladiator soundtrack translation (Now We Are Free)    

Gladiator soundtrack translation (Now We Are Free)

Sonn
Russian Federation

Gladiator soundtrack translation (Now We Are Free)

Dear collegues. With one of my students we discussed the film Gladiator and she asked me in what language was the song written. I searched the Internet and found that the author invented the language of the song herself. Nevertheless I see some familiar words in the song (e.g. shalom - peace in Hebrew as far as I know, nom - name in Latin ). And some people say that there are Gaelic (flavum - fly) and Farsi words. Even Russian: um - mind, nam - us, da - yes. And, of course, there are English words: Alas, we. Do you see any words which can be found in your language and how are they translated?

Here are the lyrics:

Anol shalom
Anol sheh lay konnud de ne um
Flavum
Nom de leesh
Ham de nam um das...

La um de
Flavne
We de ze zu bu
We de sooo a ru
Un va-a pesh a lay
Un vi-i bee
Un da la pech ni sa

Aaahh

Un di-i lay na day
Un ma la pech a nay mee di nu ku

La la da pa da le na da na
Ve va da pa da le na la dumda

Anol shalom
Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um
Flavum
Flavum
M-ai shondol-lee
Flavu Lof flesh lay
Nof ne
Nom de lis
Ham de num um dass
La um de
Flavne
Flay
Shom de nomm
Ma-lun des dwondi.
Dwwoondi

Alas sharum
du koos
Shaley koot-tum

Here is the song

Thanks in advance to everybody!

16 Oct 2010      

stexstme
France

Hi Sonn!
From what I �ve just read, most of these words don �t mean anything...As you said, she made up her own language - while speaking to God. ( quote)
Still, some words could be French :
Nom = name
De = of
La = the + feminine
Un = A + masculine...  I think these one or two-letter words have no meaning at all - but are sounds.
Sorry for not helping you more than that :o)
Sylvie

16 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Taken from an interview with Lisa Gerrard about the song:

"...The rest of the vocals, sung with sounds rather than in a
conventional language, are an example of melismatic singing. "It �s a language invented within the music, inherently, and the words mean more than I can say in English", she says. "The way I sing is not new; it �s been around since the beginning of time, and it �s something all children are born with. It �s not unique to me, but for some reason I never lost the ability".

so it �s almost like singing in tongues - sounds that speak from the heart.

16 Oct 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Dear stexstme and libertybelle! Thank you very much for your help. Your messages really helped me!

16 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

Well, Sonn, Thank you ;o)
You made me discover the song, & I find the ..language & artist  ...highly interesting!! ( I haven �t seen Gladiator ! Confused
Hugs ;o)

16 Oct 2010     

hieu_ngoc
Canada

I didn�t see the movie when it first premiered because the critics talked about the excessive violence. I finally saw it this past summer while on tour in Italy. Wow! This is movie making at one of its best moments - fine acting, excellent characters, direction, and storyline.
Thank you, Sonn, for posting the movie soundtrack video and helping me to discover its stunning beauty, too...
Also, thank you to stexstme and libertybelle for the meaning and reasons behind the aritist �s recording. This is a thread I�m definitely saving for future inspiration Smile 

16 Oct 2010