Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Learning nuance/ context    

Learning nuance/ context

annabelle1654
Germany

Learning nuance/ context

Hi All,

I have a student who doesn �t seem to understand context. He �s intermediate and when I ask him to respond to a text or role play. He misses the point of the exercise.  Sometime I think my directions may be to vague, so I give an example, but it �s hard for him to get the nuances in the conversation and respond appropriately.  Is there anything that can be done. I feel I �m being to hard on him when I say what he "should have said".  Has anyone else dealt with this kind of learning problem?

All the best to you,
Thanks in advance
Belles

16 Oct 2010      

analis_bernacchi
United Kingdom

Hi Annabelle
It seems to me that your learner may have some sort of learning difficulty.

Far from me to label your learner and I am not saying that this is a case of dyslexia, but basically learning how to assist dyslexic students may help in this case.

Dyslexic learners usually find it hard to understand abstract concepts and sequencing.
There are a number of strategies that you can use to help this learner. For example, you can use visual prompts, giving them one instruction at a time or breaking the task in smaller chunks.

I suggest you read a bit more here: http://www.excellencegateway.org.uk/page.aspx?o=EAFA1

however, you may need to register to open the document (it �s free).

Hope it helps

16 Oct 2010     

skittles
United States

It does sound like a learning disability, he may have a problem processing the information.  After giving directions ask him to repeat them back to you to make sure he gets the idea.  If not try explaining in another way.

16 Oct 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Perhaps your student has Asperger �s Disorder? Does your student have social difficulties in German as well? http://www.aspergers.com/ may help you decide. Asperger �s is a mild autism disorder. Depending on your student �s age, you may suggest that the school/the parents/the student investigate a possible diagnosis. It may be another learning disability, as other posters have noted. I have no idea what resources you �d have access to in Germany, but in the USA, if the student is in the public schools, the school is required to give learning disabled students the help they need.

16 Oct 2010