Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > "Word of the Day" APRICATE     

"Word of the Day" APRICATE

Mariethe House
France

i am not surprised you should have chosen such a lovely word, Les!

Brings back lovely memories of healthy children �s round cheeks after they have been apricating  I often used to say to my son : You �re just as brown as a little freshly picked apricot!

Sorry for not quite "playing" the game today! Too emotionalEmbarrassed

17 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Good word Les - I put it into my anagram site and it came up with 219 anagrams.  The one that I think is most apt is

a crap tie

Therefore, apricate is the code word used when you are at a social function (party etc) and want to comment to your companion about someone elses shocking tie.  All you need do is nod and say apricate to them and if they agree they�ll say apricate back.

n.b. crap has many slang meanings but in this context means a terrible tie, a shocking tie, a tie fit for the rubbish bin 

17 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

your cat �s tie is kind of neat though!

17 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Why, thank you kind lady - so you wouldn �t nod and say apricate if you saw me wearing this tie at a party LOL

17 Oct 2010     

synapse
Morocco

from the millions of words I �ve been taught along the years, the word apricate has left nothing concrete in my memory except some shadows of withered arms.Thefore, I �m not gonna think long to fabrekate a duplikate meaning for the word aprikate which gives me feelings I hate.

Have a lovely time and forget about the things I said above. I �m just mad cause I had to pay the bill doubled for someone today. And so I �m broke again.

Enjoy your time.

17 Oct 2010     

lockman
Morocco

is it apricate or upricate?I suppose there is a spelling mistake there.if that is the case ,to me it is a regular verb,oppsite most likely of "downricate" ,the root being rication ,similar words fabricate/fabrication and which means buid .downricate then is to destroy.

example:
By the year 2100 they will have upricated a bridge linking Morocco to Spain (or Africa to Europe).But fears are that strong waves might downricate it a few years later

HAHAHAHA It sounds plausible to me,not to you?

17 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2