Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day - Wednesday, 20th October    

Word of the Day - Wednesday, 20th October

almaz
United Kingdom

Word of the Day - Wednesday, 20th October

Just for a change, I �ll be your WOD provider for today.

And the word is:

SNOWCLONE

(as per usual, no direct lifts from dictionaries, the interweb etc)

Have fun!

Alex

By the way,

zailda
Brazil 

OMG! Can a Scottish say he�s a native English speaker?

20 Oct 2010     

Yes, Zailda. We �re all diglossic. Most Scots grow up speaking Standard Scottish English as well as broad Scots to some degree (although this is becoming less common).

20 Oct 2010      

stexstme
France

Big smile 
Snow = here cocaine / clone = a copy
ie : Snowclone : Junkies � word for sugar ???
eg : " Hey, guys, how about some snowclone in your coffee?"

20 Oct 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

A snowy cyclone  (Snow + cyclone) I don �t know if it �s possible tho �, meteorologically speaking. Maybe it �s something to do with when they try to recreate snow in a film, the machine they use?

20 Oct 2010     

stefemma
France

A snowclone is a Scottish word for snowman!!!
Your clone but in snow! Wink

20 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

When you are skiing and have a spectacular crash you sometimes leave an impression of yourself in the snow--this "copy" of yourself is also known as a snowclone.

20 Oct 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

The snowclone is the strange thing/creature I saw on the way home from a pub at 2am last winter.
It was freezing and the strange thing was much taller than me. Whether it was a ghost covered by snowflakes or a really strange snowman - I didn �t have a chance to find out.
I jumped and run away as fast as I could.
I have to admit I got home out of breath and shivering all over my body. Don �t ask me whether it was because of the alcohol I had drunk or the fright...

Beware of snowclones in the middle of the night!

20 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I never engaged in this thread because even after further explanation I haven�t gotten to understand it completely. I�m green of envy because I realize the participants have lots of fun. As you mentioned my name, I felt encouraged. I didn�t know Scottish have something like �a second language� and I got amazed last night because I wasn�t able to understand a thing on the mentioned post. My third ex-husband has Irish origin and he used strange words when speaking English which I could barely understand. But it�s past now.

About the word snowclone, I think it�s something I�m in need right now. A clone made of snow, that would take my place in situations I�m supposed to stay perfectly calm and shouldn�t show my Latin origin, that makes me overreact sometimes and go too far.

And a snowclone would be a good idea for me. BTW, do you know where I can buy one?

Have a nice day!

20 Oct 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Speaking of Scotsmen (and women), a snowclone is what they have in their whisky in the winter. Though it is a rare word because most Scots people drink their whisky neat and wash it down with a beer or is that the other way round?

Anyway a snowclone is equal to 10 milliliters of fresh Aviemore snow.  I prefer a snowclfour with my whisky, but then I �m not from Scotland.

20 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

As everyone knows no two snowflakes are the same, that is until now. The great world renown German scientist Dr. Fingleheimer had been working on a snow making machine on behalf of the Olympic committee and came upon a way to duplicate exact replicas of snowflakes which make for a consistent  conditions on the slopes thus leveling the playing field and that �s how we now have snowclones.

20 Oct 2010     

Yams
Argentina

SNOWCLONES are part of an alien army specially design to eat snow in some areas of the world where there are lots of people who really feel the cold.... these breve soldiers are sooo tiny you can �t see them, you sense their presence when it �s cold (so that they don �t melt! LOL)
they have a lot of work where I live! I hate winter!!!! thank God, it doesn �t snow here...(or thanks to snowclones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

have a great day!!!!!!

20 Oct 2010     

the hope
Belgium

Thank You
 great job

20 Oct 2010