Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP !!!    

HELP !!!

steph30
France

HELP !!!

Hi Guys!
I suddenly have a doubt..Would you say: English pupils wear uniforms ( or a uniform )?
and if we describe a picture in which there are many children who are wearing different uniforms, would you say : they are wearing uniforms or a uniform ?
thanks

20 Oct 2010      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Steph30,
Hello.
In a different sentence, I would be inclined to say:
"British soldiers wear a uniform".

So:
"English pupils wear a uniform".  This suggests that all the pupils in School X wear the same uniform, the School X uniform.
However, although I would not find a serious problem with someone who said:
"English pupils wear uniforms", this sentence suggests that each pupil has more than one uniform, and that each uniform is different.  It also suggests that pupils from different schools wear different uniforms.

In the second example, there are many children, and there are many different uniforms.  For the above reason, I would say:
"They are wearing uniforms", (and they are all different uniforms!)
Otherwise, you would have to say:
"Every one of them is wearing a uniform", (and every one of the uniforms is different).

I hope that I have helped you.

Les

20 Oct 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I �d say you can use both. I couldn �t think of a specific grammar rule (nor did I want to), plus both sentences are perfectly understandable and grammatically correct.

English pupils wear a uniform. -> they each wear a (single) uniform

English pupils wear uniforms. -> they still wear a uniform each, which makes for a lot of uniforms altogether

IMHO there is not much - if any - difference between both. When describing a picture, I�d be inclined to say that �they are wearing uniforms� (regardless of whether the uniforms were exactly alike or different).

21 Oct 2010     

steph30
France

thanks lads ;)

21 Oct 2010