Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Correcting exams    

Correcting exams

carinita
Argentina

Correcting exams

I made a mistake while designing the exam I omitted one of the pronouns "I" which was necessary to make a sentence that is grammatically correct

I think I should consider the sentence correct (It was MY mistake) ..., add a blue "I" and explain to (or remind) the students that the pronoun is necessary because we link two different ideas using "but" (two clauses)

23 Oct 2010      

sanchezos
Serbia

You �re righ- the sentence you are talking about should have two subjects.

23 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

I can �t cite the exact rule, but it is acceptable without the repeated subject.

Bruce

23 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

Once again, I agree with Bruce: I don �t know the rule off the top of my head, either, but "I like salad, but don �t like carrots" is perfectly fine.

23 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

You give me good news LOL

23 Oct 2010     

sanchezos
Serbia

Hey, Bruce, I see U R a native speaker...That makes you the most reliable person for all the questions  Smile .. .  Could you help me find a simple song 4 7 year- old children? It shouldn �t be complicated.... " You are my sunshine", " If you �re happy" are complicated for them Confused....  I would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Sanja  (I wonder how you would pronounce my name, hahah) 

23 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

OK, here �s something to back up what Bruce and I are saying:

In Swan�s "Practical English Usage", he talks about leaving out repeated words in the second of two co-ordinate clauses. (See sections #178 and #510.5) Here�s one of his examples: "She can read, but (she) can�t write."

23 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks for your time! I won �t disagree with Mr Swan LOL

23 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Shouldn �t it be mashed potatoes? (not smashed)

23 Oct 2010     

valfairyrose
Uruguay

both are correct Marion

smashed and mashed

but mashed should be used with potatoes as a food (like you said)
smash when you throw the potatoe and that crashed into pieces.

I think it is that, if not, please correct me.
hug

23 Oct 2010     

baiba
Latvia

I thought the same, Marion!
In the sentence about Jenny it sounds kind of strange that the potatoes are smashed!LOL
Who smashed them and why? Was it Jenny? LOL

23 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >