Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which word would you use in this sentence...    

Which word would you use in this sentence...

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Which word would you use in this sentence...

Hello everybody,

First of all thanks a million to Bruce and specially to Sue for their help. You are just great! Once again I need your help to find the right word. One of my students has written the following sentence: "It �s true that sleeping in tents can be more uncomfortable than staying in a room but it is more NATURAL and you will enjoy it more."
The sentence sounds a literal translation from Spanish,but is it right? Can I replace the word NATURAL for ECO-FRIENDLY (that �s what my student wants to say)?

Thanks in advance.

24 Oct 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@chenchen

Yes, the word "natural" can and should be replaced by "eco-friendly"! :))

24 Oct 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

If your students would like to use the word "nature" you could change it by saying "you can experience nature, and you will enjoy it more."

24 Oct 2010     

arkel
Ireland

it is �closer to nature � could also be a possibility

24 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

I like closer to nature.

I don�t think eco-friendly has the meaning that the student is looking for--it means something to the effect of it is good for the environment.

24 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

First of all, you �re welcome. I do it as a break between other work because it �s fun.

In this case, though, yes, natural is derived from the word nature and can have that meaning, but it �s a different connotation that comes across in this sentence. To stay in a hotel room is natural...for people in developed countries. Natural in that sense means that it �s consistent with the person �s nature--their customary habits. The only people for whom sleeping in a tent would be natural, then, are those who normally sleep in tents.

Consequently, eco-friendly would be a better choice if the student was discussing the impact we have on the planet. Closer to nature is more likely to be what I would choose, as it gives the impression of experiencing nature (i.e. trees, desert, animals, etc.) more.

Sue

24 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I would go for �adventurous � or if the idea is to say it would be more appropriate because of the nature of the trip (learning about bedouins or the like) go could go for �authentic � . I agree with the others that �closer to nature� might also work, esp. if s/he tries to say that by sleeping in a tent you experience the nature around you more...
hope this helps
Eco friendly sounds like something about preserving nature, as in environmentally friendly
(not always sleeping in a tent is better than sleeping in a hotel, all depends on how - taking disposable plates to save time washing won �t do the environment much good...)

24 Oct 2010