Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY - "quixotic"    

WORD OF THE DAY - "quixotic"

abdel
Morocco

quixotic:
i guess i heard the word somewhere but i really can �t remember! was it perhaps used by my   poetry professor interpreting john keats " la belle dame sans merci"? the knight in the poem was TOO idealistic.
so quixotic is someone who is unrealistic; someone who is never down-to-earth!
hugs from here!

25 Oct 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Quixotic

This is a type of medicine:

Quix - fast-acting indigestion tablets.
Otic - to do with the ears

So indigestion tablets for the ears????

I wonder what Cervantes would think?Wink

25 Oct 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

As per the rules mentioned before...no dictionary use...but no one ever mentioned not asking an erudite in the English language!!! Soooo...I went to my friend Helen �s house with Chocoflan (mexican dessert...her favorite) to bribe the definition out of her...I confess...It �s not my own definition...but it was MY CHOCOFLAN!!! Made it with my own pretty hands!...She, being the outstanding English Language PhD she is!, gave me a short and concise explanation of this word.

Quixotic is the term used when people obtain citizenship in a country by choice.  This person turns into a Quixotic in their country of origin.  

Quixotic is a word composed of a prefix and suffix. 

�QUIX� from Proto-Germanic *kustiz. Cognate with Old Saxon cust (Dutch kust), Old High German chust. Pronunciation Kyst  which means CHOICE

�EXOTIC� from Latin exoticus, which means "foreign", literally "from the outside�

Combination of words that finally brings us to today�s definition and use of the word: �Foreign by choice�.

For those interested in the word in other languages,  as she only speaks Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian besides English she provided me with the words  in those languages...

a) Spanish: Electoexotico

b)Portuguese: Elegeex�ticos

c)Italian: eleggeresotici

I hope this  is as useful for you as it was for me...After finishing a whole CHOCOFLAN I wish QUIXOTIC was really that medecine our good friend APODO mentioned...we ate so much I feel it coming out of my EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Kprichornia,
I did intend telephoning you to congratulate you on your research, but I realise that I am unable to pronounce your name, �Kprichornia �.

Your results are astonishingly accurate and almost mirror my investigation so far.

In Dutch, the phrase is �Buitenlandse naar keuze �.  I am very excited, because the word �kust � is S-O close to �keuze �.

When one sees the same phrase in Russian, �Иностранные по выбору �,

and then in Chinese, �外國的選擇 �,  it virtually seals the argument.  This is a great day for Linguistics!

Congratulations!

But ... ... back to the research!  I must continue my investigations by reading the last Chapter of "The Book with the Answer to EVERY Quiz Question".

Les

25 Oct 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Quixotic = a veeeeeeeeeery "exotic" Don Quijote, who turns ladies on with a wink of his eye!!!

25 Oct 2010     

agagug
Canada

Quixotic...

Yes... it looks a lot like Don Quixote... Therefore an adjective related to the famous Spanish character...

I can do it. It will be tough, but I must do it, it is in me, the world is counting on me, I must not fail, I will prevail, and you have to understand, it is of the most importance that you do, you have to understand, it is for the greater good of all of us striving for a perfect world in which student centered learning really touches and moves students, in which teachers actually become one of the numerous tools students can use in order to push back the limits of their oh so (un)limited minds. We must achieve this as a whole. Students, you fellow teachers, and me your humble servant. Oh you true light, oh unbearable truth, enlighten us all... I can hear your doubts from here, I see them raising high like giants... Doubts must be crushed... Those mighty doubtful giants must perish, I must do it, we can do it... Charge!!! Behind those evil giants lies the truth! With me oh Sanchos of this world! With me, victory is at hand! With me! Sancho! Here is my pledge: the whole world will know the definition of quixotic!

and it will be my noble deed, my gift to the greatest mistress of all, my Dulcin�e, Education.

Agagug

25 Oct 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

Well Thank you Les...and if you think this research was astonishing you should have tasted the CHOCOFLAN I baked!!! I gotta say I had my friend giving me all the details even before I said the word to her...Thank you so much for offering the term in additional languages...I �m certain that people will be happier if they can relate it to their own language.And by the way...my name is Elida, it might be easier to pronounce... aaaaand I �d like to get a copy of that book your finishing just now...Maybe then I won �t have to bake a cake everytime I need an answer...

Thumbs Up

25 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2