Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Prepositions with Halloween and Thanksgiving    

Prepositions with Halloween and Thanksgiving

yolprica
Spain

Prepositions with Halloween and Thanksgiving

Does anybody by any change know why we preferably say "on Halloween" and "at Thanksgiving"?. Both are celebrated on a determined day and are festivities, aren �t they? Shouldn �t they be considered the same kind of words?
Thanks in advance
Yolanda

25 Oct 2010      

severanceb
Spain

My guess:

Halloween is a one-day event. Thanksgiving, although it is one specific day, is part of a four-day weekend for many, thus referring to a general period of time and not the day itself ("on Thanksgiving" is perfectly acceptable when referring to the day). 

A counterexample would be "the weekend", as Americans would mostly say "on the weekend". A counter-counterexample is that Brits say "at the weekend".

Another example:
"We plan to travel a lot at Christmas." <----- Christmas season
"We will open presents at Grandma �s on Christmas." <----- Christmas Day

25 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Yolanda Yolprica,

I say �at Halloween�; �at Thanksgiving�; �at Christmas�; �at Easter�; �at Whitsuntide�; �at New Year� ... �at the period of the year called Halloween�, etc.

I say �on Halloween Night�; �on Thanksgiving Day�; �on Christmas Day�; �on Easter Monday�; �on Whit Sunday�; �on New Year�s Day� ... �on the specific day called Halloween�, etc.

Others may say differently.

Les

25 Oct 2010     

veronichenka
Latvia

Smile

25 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

Les,
I assume that you �d also say "on Thanksgiving" (without "day") when referring to the day itself. In that case, I agree with you completely.

Bruce

25 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Vanogator,

"The Oxford Dictionary of English"
On = preposition.
"Indicating the day or part of a day during which an event takes place: reported on September 26 | on a very hot evening in July".

As you know, the Brits don �t normally celebrate Thanksgiving, because it is a beautiful  American Festival, so it doesn �t normally occur in our conversation.

However, if I were recounting an event in the USA, I would still say: "At Thanksgiving, my aunt always has a party on Thanksgiving Day".

I don �t expect you to �agree � or �disagree �.  It is just a question of what is normally used in that area.

All the Best.

Les

25 Oct 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

I would say AT Thanksgiving, but ON Thanksgiving day; AT Christmas, but ON Christmas day. For some reason, the day takes over everything else, for example: "I met him in July", BUT "I met him on July the 2nd".

26 Oct 2010