Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Does anybody know...    

Does anybody know...

Belusa
Argentina

Does anybody know...

..a similar expression in English that stands for the Spanish one "cola de paja", meaning sm who did sth wrong and somehow was oversensitive about any topic related to what he did? Pls let me know. Belusa

3 Dec 2008      

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

i�d say the best expression for that is:

If the shoe fits wear it

I hope i�ve been of help

3 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

I don�t know Spanish but maybe this fits,

People who live in glass houses shouldn�t throw stones.

3 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

hi Belusa,

When someone reacts to something I say - because they are overly senstive about a topic.  I would usually say:

"Touchy" as in "That seems to be a Touchy Subject". 

I would only say this to people that I know extremely well though - for other people I would jsut think it in my head!

For Example:

ESL Printable Member One:  "I really like how some people put a lot of effort into their worksheets".

ESL Printable Member Two: "Just because mine is just a border I downloaded from a free website and pasted into word doesn�t mean it isn�t valuable as an Esl printable!"

ESL Printable Member One (or anyone else listening to the conversation): "Touchy!" 

Said like this "Touch_EEEEEE"

You might also say "He is a bit sensitive"

Hope you like those ones.
Vicki

3 Dec 2008     

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

I guess the expression "tener cola de paja" is pretty much exclusive of Argentinean Spanish; i�m not really sure if other Spanish-speaking countries use this expression. But if i�m wrong, please, i�d love to see if others do!

Having said that, I would say that the best expression here would be:

If the shoe fits, wear it

If something belongs or pertains to you, accept it. This�proverb�first appeared as �if the cap fits,� which may have referred to a fool�s cap. The later version has become more common and is associated with the glass slipper in the fairy tale, �Cinderella.�

�Although all the other alternatives sounded very interesting, I think this one fits the best.�I may be wrong, though.

CHEERS EVERYONE

ALDANA

3 Dec 2008     

Nichi
Spain

Hi everybody!

I�m Spanish and I have never heard that expression so I think like aldana, it�s much exclusive of Argentinean Spanish. About the translation I have no idea.

Have a nice day!

Nichi

4 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

I think "if the shoe fits" is missing the oversentive reaction.

I agree with Vickii, "touchy" sounds better. �

5 Dec 2008