Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Souvenirs    

Souvenirs

blunderbuster
Germany

Souvenirs

Hi,

one more question I have.

Can I say "souvenirs make that you don �t forget your holiday." It is not very good style but kids talk like that, right?

Thanks.

27 Oct 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello ReginaSmile
Wouldn �t it be better to say: souvenirs help you remember your holiday?
Sophia

27 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Sophia Wink,

sure, but the student wrote the above version ;o)

Regards

27 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

souvenirs make that you don �t forget your holiday is not correct.
It sounds like a
translated sentence .

27 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

If you want to stay closer to your students original but turn it into correct English you could say "Souvenirs make sure that you don �t forget your holiday."

27 Oct 2010     

dennismychina
China

In China we have an expression �Chinglish� maybe the country you teach in suffers a similar syndrome. Could it be  GermelishConfused?

Enjoy.  

27 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Blunderbuster,

Whatever expression English children might use, I don �t think that they would say: 
"souvenirs make that you don �t forget your holiday."

The other posts are correct.

I would say: "Souvenirs ensure that you don �t forget your holiday".

All the Best,

Les

27 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you guys. However, I wouldn �t be asking if I didn �t think that I heard it some place other than Germany......Wink

What about these examples then...? Not all of them are like my example, but some are.

Also this one, not kid-friendly, but still...

I totally agree that it sounds strange, but is it really Germglish?

27 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Blunderbuster,

"Make that you" does not exist in English!

I have spent an hour looking through my Grammar books and can find nothing resembling this phrase.

You produce, as proof, sentences from the Gerrman Internet, written by German-speakers.

I think that your students are German speakers.

If I told you that my English speakers in my class, constantly used a German phrase which I thought was un-grammatical, but because many of them used it, it must be correct!  To prove that they are �correct �, they produce similar sentences from other English-speakers, using the same construction, written on the Internet.  Would you be impressed with me if I permitted them to continue using the phrase?

As an English teacher, I assure you, I have never heard an expression like that, or similar to that, previously.  I have lived in England and have spoken English all of my life.

All the Best to you and to your students.

Les

27 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I understand that, Les, they weren �t German sites, though, not written by German speakers.

Thanks for all your help and effort. I really appreciate it.

28 Oct 2010