Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > query on superlative adjectives    

query on superlative adjectives

NanG
Argentina

query on superlative adjectives

Hi everyone!

My questions are:

1- a- the most evil or b- the evilest??  ( short adjective)

2- a- the most friendly
or b- the friendliest??  ( long adjective)

I think the correct options are the first ones (a) but in the case of n�1 it is just because it "sounds ok" to me.

Is there an explanation why?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance and warmest hugs!! =)

27 Oct 2010      

sulekra
Australia

It doesn �t matter how long or short an adjective is, but how many syllables it has. Only one syllable adjectives add -est, except ones ending in -ow or -y.

Evil is two syllables so the only grammatically correct option is the most evil.
Friendly is two syllables too, but ends in -y, so it turns into friendliest.

27 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, that �s the "rule", but I think more people in the US would say "the evilest" than "the most evil".

Bruce

27 Oct 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

vanogator, perhaps in casual American English people would say "the evilest," but I �m with NanG and sulekra: "the most evil" sounds better to me.

27 Oct 2010     

scampi
Spain

Very interesting.  I would say the evilest and the friendliest.  I was taught that when the word has two syllables that some took "the most" form but not all of them.  I would always say and have always heard evilest and friendliest. 

27 Oct 2010     

fierysea
Portugal

Both friendliest and evilest have dictionary entries. Nevertheless, the most evil AND the most friendly are probably more common. If you google these two and the other two, you�ll see the difference... The most evil gets 103.000.000 results and the most friendly gets 443.000.000 (the other two only get 671.000 and 872.000). Sometimes both constructions are possible. Another example is the adjective quiet. Again, I would use the most quiet just because it�s easier to pronounce. And if you google both options, this one has a lot more results. :)

28 Oct 2010     

NanG
Argentina

Thanks everyone for your answers!!! Smile

And fierysea, I had googled the words too and I had also seen those numbers!

I had heard that sometimes both constructions are possible as well, but I was still in doubt, that �s why I asked for help.  As I can see, this sometimes seems to go beyond the "grammar rules".

It is both very interesting and very useful to get other people �s opinions !!

28 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

I would definitely say "most evil" and can �t think if I �ve ever heard "evilest". It sounds rather odd to me.

However, I ran them through a corpus (Corpus of Contemporary American English) and it listed 2 instances of "evilest" versus 48 of "most evil".  "Friendliest" had 137 entries and "most friendly" had 38.

28 Oct 2010