Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD    

WOD

edrodmedina
United States

WOD

Thank you, thank you.  I �ve been chosen winner of the Word of the Day. I submitted 2 answers so I �m assuming that it was my first witty answer that was picked.

"You know the rules of the competition. Don�t look it up, don�t google it, and if you know what it means, either keep your knowledge to yourself or join in the creative, crazy definition game forgetting the real meaning of the word. The rule is that the winner is declared at midnight Spanish time."

The new Word of the Day is: Alogotrophy

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Nov 2010      

Vickiii
New Zealand

WEll a logie is a word for a really disgusting thing that comes up your throat from your nose when you make that gross noise.

So an Alogotrophy must be the trophy you get for doing something super disgusting <mainly competed for by boys> that makes everyone either laugh their head off or be totally disgusted <if they are little girls!>

Wink

1 Nov 2010     

Apodo
Australia

LOL Vickiii. And I thought a Logie was a TV award. Does NZ have an equivalent?
What a gross definition.

1.Alogotrophy (noun): a-logo-trophy:  a prize given for the best logo in a competition held between businesses every year.

2.Alogotrophy (verb): a-lo-got -rophy. To atrophy is to dry up or wither. This is when your business is failing and your logo is almost unknown.

Care must be taken not to confuse these two related words.

1 Nov 2010     

dreutz
Romania

Ref to the meaning of written record of messages sent or received, mainly via the internet. Well here goes:

A- log-o-trophy is the trophy you get for the best LOG of the year. (from your friendly neighborhood hacker as a consolation prize after he/she has hacked into your computer :D)

1 Nov 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

Alogotrophy is the nonexistent virtual prize we get when we are the winner of the Word of the Day here.
No chocolate, no flowers, no golden statues, no cheers - but the virtual "logo trophy"
Every baby knows that "log"o means word, that "a" is the article, so there you are!!
Alogotrophy means the virtual prize for the winner of the WOD.

1 Nov 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Alogotrophy  means there is one log too many in the fire, or a wooden leg is one too many.

A = one
log = wood
trop = many

1 Nov 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

That�s a trophy for the person who created the best logo in a competition.

1 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

He was presented a log-o-trophy for being the best woodsman in Hick County.

could also be written as:
He was presented a log as a trophy for being the best woodsman in Hick county.

Alogotrophy - a log presented as a trophy

A log as a trophy would be "a logo (logical) trophy" for a woodsman.

1 Nov 2010     

kodora
Greece

Of course this is a Greek word
alogo is a horse
trophy /tro΄fi/ is food                                       
so alogotrophy is food for horses that is hay!
Have a nice day!
Dora

1 Nov 2010