Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD for the other half (or so)    

WOD for the other half (or so)

edrodmedina
United States

WOD for the other half (or so)

Thank you, thank you.  I �ve been chosen winner of the Word of the Day. I submitted 2 answers so I �m assuming that it was my first witty answer that was picked.

"You know the rules of the competition. Don�t look it up, don�t google it, and if you know what it means, either keep your knowledge to yourself or join in the creative, crazy definition game forgetting the real meaning of the word. The rule is that the winner is declared at midnight Spanish time."

The new Word of the Day is: Alogotrophy

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Nov 2010      

elderberrywine
Germany

hey folks, come on, some more entries!!

1 Nov 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

It �s when logos get old-fashioned and outdated  and sort of atrophy (and the marketing experts should think of new ones)- a-logo-trophy! (you remember the Nike one from the Gibson/Hunt movie What Women Want? - No games, just sports...)

1 Nov 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

Well Duh!!!!

Alogotrophy... It is an award given to graphic designers...It�s the graphic design Oscar if you will.  With a red carpet event and everything...Except the red carpet its substituted by a collage of clothes sewn together like a quilt with the logo design of all the nominies. The purpose of this event is to give grand recognition to the best design of "a" "logo""trophy" given to the most creative, most inovative, most original, design. 

I�ve recently heard that the creator of this page is trying to arrange an event of the sort where the ESLprintable creator of the year would be awarded with anESLprintabletrophy.

1 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�Alogotrophy�

I have had several letters from Members of ESLP, living in the USA, Australia, New Zealand ... and even from England ... saying that the study of English, is relatively easy.  By contrast, I have noticed particularly that I have not received a single letter from Germany saying the same thing.  It�s true that I haven�t received any married letters either.  However, this may be because Germany has a mail service and not a femail service, but the principle is the same.

Europe has an excellent postal service.  A letter posted in Hamburg can arrive in Warsaw before you can say ��ffentliche Lebensversicherung Handlungsreisenden�,

So my inquiring mind asked: �Why?�

In a flash, it came to me --- �The Gender Issue�.

German has three Genders � Male = Der; Female = Die; and Neuter = Das.  Der Mann; Die Frau; Das Haus (The man; the woman; the house).  It all appears so simple!

But, NO!

A child; and a young girl; are both Neuter!  Das Kind; and Das M�dchen.  They are neither Male nor Female, but somewhere in between.  They must wait until they are adult, before they discover their true identity.

I think that it is for this reason that they have not written regarding learning English.

Lives have been changed for less obvious reasons.

The Manchester comedian, Jack Tatty, sang to tiny audiences in London, with a Cockney song: �Boom�.  It was a dismal flop.  He went to Paris, changed his name to Jacques Tati, sang the same song, called �Boum�, and it was a world-wide hit.

He later wrote and sang about his mother, �La Mer�.

The word Alogotrophy has a similar happy conclusion.

It is an Air Traffic Control signal, combining German, English, French, and American.

�Allo�; �Go�; �Trop� �Hy� = �Hello�; �Go�; �Too�; �High�

I forget what the exact instruction to a plane was, but I am assured that this accurate.

It avoids lengthy instructions: �Give me your height and position!�  �I�m one metre 50, and I�m sitting down!�

Les

1 Nov 2010