Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The elderly    

The elderly

yolprica
Spain

The elderly

I wonder if in your countries it is happening the same as in Spain, where the elderly were looked after at home by their children except in certain cases and now it is becoming impossible due to the fact the a lot of women work out of the home and people in general are worrying less and less about them. I don �t blame people who think they are better assisted in old people �s homes but something is changing in our society, is the same happening in your country?
Thanks for you contribution in advance
Yolanda

2 Nov 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Yes, Yolanda, same here. The more money people make, the more they consider putting old people in homes. I don �t think it �s a matter of "not being able"... it �s more like "the easy way out"... I �m not talking about all people, of course, but the majority.
I �m not judging anyone here, every case is different and I guess some people really do have the need for someone else to look after the elderly ... but those are the least.
I �ve an acquaintance who runs an old people �s home and she �s told me how the people there don �t get to have many visits from relatives ... that says something in itself.

2 Nov 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

It �s a terribly sad situation. Don �t we think that we will become part of the elderly soon? Would we like to end up abandoned in one of those homes? I understand that some ilnesses are really difficult to deal with but in the majority of the cases that �s not the reason whey they are sent there. I agree with you Alicia, it becomes an effortless solution. No offence.    

2 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

I have already answered in the previous post, Iolanda clicked twice, I guess.

@ LOVE MY KIDS
Pretty name, you have, have you thought that, the way out for YOU not ending in one of such places will bring a lot of difficult situations to your children ?

If , if our children keep us at home when we are no longer able to survive without making silly things or, even, put the whole house under serioius risk, what will happen?
Do you want your children to have a difficult time, because they have you at home, but can �t go out, can �t go to a party, can �t have a job, can �t... because you are there and can �t be left alone?

Have you thought about this, this way?
Do you realy want to steal them some years of their life �

Think about this, soemtimes we can only see things standing up , on the air, we don �t look down; I can say a word about this, these situations can frequently turn to a hell.

They deserve better; the only thing I beg is a clean mind, so that I can decide and tell them, no, thank you, I prefer to live in one of those houses, I will be there perfectly.
They are my kids, I want tobe ever and forevre perfectly able of deciding .....what is better for them.
And for them, I am sure, if I can assure them I am alright, I will be, because they will be, they won �t feel guilty of having me in such a house.

Hope you all understand me, not criticing, just forwarding my own life

Hugs
Linda

3 Nov 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

My mom is still alive and this is a question we often talk about.  At the moment my mom lives with me on and off for several weeks at a time because we live in different cities.  We have discussed what would happen when she is not able to look after herself any longer. 

At the moment she is 88 years old and believe it or not, she lives on her own.   She is still able to look after herself and travel, but as time goes by she is able to do less and less. 

Eventhough, we have offered my mom a place to stay, she has decided that she does not want to burden the family, nor does she want to live in an old age home.  Her solution is to live at home and have someone come in and live with her.  We have already spoken to some people who have done this and have been advised that it works well, and is not much more expensive than living in a residence.

It is difficult looking after the elderly, but it is also difficult looking after a young child, and that is what a parent does for a child, so why not visa versa if possible?

3 Nov 2010