Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > I resent that.    

I resent that.

blunderbuster
Germany

Sure, sure, but shouldn �t we be able to avoid structures that we aren �t able to use correctly? ;o) Nobody is perfect, I know, not even every native speaker that works as a teacher.

Use a source, credit the author, simple as that....most of the texts here are for kids anyway, it is not like we are making reading comprehension exercises for Nobel prize aspirants.....;o)

Regards

3 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

Wouldn�t it be against the rules for a banned person to open a new account?

3 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

That is what I thought, apparently, it isn �t. As a result, my reporting has practically gone down to almost zero......

3 Nov 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

In order to provide interesting and good writing to our students made by ourselves, we would have to become researchers to write a proper text about, for instance, drugs, or violence on tv, or, so many other subjects.

I can write a text about many subjects, but again, I don �t intend to be a writer, and I can put my time to better use not pretending to be one while teaching English. Plus, as a teacher, the more different sources my students have, the better for them, I �d say.

My text on "Violence on TV" would be far too opinionated as opposed to the good old texts written by those who study the subject at hand. And it would take time I don �t have. Then, the discussions I raise in class are way better for my students to develop their English fluency than reading an authentic text written by Bruna (amateur writer). Or so I like to think Stern Smile.

3 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Why should English teachers - NS or NNS - �have to become researchers � in order to �write a proper text � (whatever that is) about anything? Sorry, it just doesn �t follow. I �m sure you regularly teach your students the basics of good essay writing, including how to avoid being tendentious or judgemental. 

I believe that Regina is saying that everyone here - as teachers of English - can create their own original texts in English and, even if they do have problems in certain areas, they should have the linguistic strategies to be able to avoid them and still create a meaningful piece of work. If they wish to incorporate anything which they haven �t created themselves, then they should acknowledge this. Politicians and celebrities aside, this is fairly normal practice. It is not, as they say, rocket science. 

3 Nov 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I �m with Bruna on this one.  When it comes to a subject I have knowledge about, I will write the text myself.  Most of the time I am very pressed for time and it is much easier to find the material on the net or in a text. 

Most of us are very capable of writing texts, but I find my time is better spent preparing grammar worksheets instead of compositions.  When I need a text, I cut and paste and add whatever I think is necessary to fit into my worksheet. 

3 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Good for you, Nancy. 

3 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

douglas, even if it �s against the rules, if a banned person wants to open a new account, there �s nothing stopping him or her from lying about the name and giving a new email address. 

My few contributions have been completely my own work (even if some of it isn �t very original in idea), but I have certainly used downloaded texts in my computer class before. I just give credit where credit is due. 

There �s an old academic saying, "Steal from one: plagiarism. Steal from many: research." There �s a lot of truth in that. We lend and borrow freely; we just need to remember from whom we borrow. When I download and save something from this site, I put the member �s name into the file name. That way I don �t forget.

3 Nov 2010     

swissprof
Switzerland

I don �t see where the problem is if we choose good texts written by journalists or good authors and we cite our ressources then we can make a reading comprehension for our students ? Why all this fuss ? It may be easy for some of us to invent elementary texts but if you are looking for more elaborate texts we need to find them somewhere !
A teacher stays a teacher and isn �t  an author !!!

Have a sweet night

3 Nov 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hey Almaz. That �s why I used the word "researcher"and the word "proper". Take my example of Violence on TV. To write my own text, and an interesting one, that would bring the most out of my students, I would need to reasearch about studies on the area, data, cases and such. At least that �s what I think a good text has. But I could easily through a quick net search find one that had those, made by someone who has actually studied and researched that topic. Then, I can do my "teaching work", which is helping my students understand and speak English.

I �m just saying that I really don �t believe teachers "have to" write their own texts while dealing with text comprehension or subject debate, not that they can �t. It �s just that in my opinion we can do better than pretending to be a writer or a journalist - if we �re not or we �re not also. I wouldn �t call me a writer just because I can write an essay. As I wouldn �t call me a web designer �cause I �ve made me a blog. But those who feel like doing it, and believe they �re doing a good job to their students, are obviously free to do so.

EDIT: I didn�t say that I believe the sources shouldn�t be acknowledged. And by "proper text", you�d think it would be implicit the idea of "what people (or even just myself) consider appropriate".

3 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >