Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Are nursery rhymes - esl?    

Are nursery rhymes - esl?

majcek
Slovenia

Are nursery rhymes - esl?

I mostly teach toddlers and i give them nursery rhymes with colouring pictures and nicely decorated paper. Is this an esl and if not why not?

4 Nov 2010      

elderberrywine
Germany

if you make up the nursery rhymes, they are probably ESL.
if they are just ones you find all over the place, probably no.
if you add ESl activities to them, probably yes
but colouring activities aren �t really ESL activities

4 Nov 2010     

Lidiana73
Australia

I use nursery rhymes a lot in my daily teaching.  What I usually do is write up the nursery rhyme in the incorrect order and the students have to sequence it.  Then I get to to either draw the picture or even I find free images on the internet and not only do they have to sequence the text but also put the pictures next to the part of the text it matches.  I do this regularly and my class of 6 & & year olds love it!

4 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Nursery Rhymes are fine if you add activities.
They are a form of chanting and some have repetition which is good for
the younger learners.
If you also add coloring activities that support the rhymes - also with activities, such as Glyphs - then that �s great too.

4 Nov 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

It �s not what you use, it �s how you use it that define what is an ESL resource. Same goes with a book, a song or a newspaper story.

4 Nov 2010     

andre3lion
Thailand

Here is the short definition of ESL.
�ESL is an acronym that is used primarily in educational settings and stands for English as a Second Language. It refers to teaching English to a person whose native or primary language is one other than English. �

So, I think you teach your kids English. This makes you an ESL teacher. But for more information about what ESL and ELL stands for , see this link http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-an-esl-teacher-do.htm

In lep pozdrav iz Tajske
Andrej

4 Nov 2010