Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What īs the meaning of the word?    

What īs the meaning of the word?

mariflo
Greece

What īs the meaning of the word?

Hi there dear colleagues!

I īm confused about this sentence: īMy father works as a supervisional �. Is īsupervisional � used correctly here and if so, what does it mean exactly?

Thanks in advance.

4 Nov 2010      

PhilipR
Thailand

It should be "My father works as a supervisor." (= noun)

4 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

As an American, I don īt think this is correct. I īd say, "My father is a supervisor," or "My father works in a supervisory capacity," with a decided preference for the former. I personally have never heard nor used "supervisional," although I wouldn īt say that it is never used.

4 Nov 2010     

andre3lion
Thailand

I couldn īt find this word in the Oxford dictionary neither in Cambridge dictionary and I never heard of it. As Philip and Moody said is is most probably " supervisor"  a person who supervises something or somebody. Example: a nursing supervisor or construction supervisor.

4 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

The correct form is supervisorMy father works as a supervisor - he manages, and is responsible for, the work of a team of people or a business project

You can also say My father works in a supervisory capacity which is more formal.

Cheers

Jayho

4 Nov 2010