Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need your help!    

Need your help!

Hanni9
Vietnam

Need your help!

I wonder which answer is right. Please help me! Thanks in advance
How much IS/ ARE an apple and a cake?

4 Nov 2010      

libertybelle
United States

I would say is - because they are listed as separate entities by using AND and the articles.
If you had written How much are apples and cakes- then I would use are.

4 Nov 2010     

huongloan89
Vietnam

Hello, I �m Vietnamese too. I also think " is " is correct answer. Another example for you:
There is a market, a hospital and a restaurant near my house.

P/s:The comment of Ms Libertybelle is very helpful.

4 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

I agree with Libertybelle.

4 Nov 2010     

BIBILOLO
Italy

I agree with the others, because you have to choose the verb according to the noun coming after. So: "How much IS an apple", you don �t care if afterwards you put another list of things. what �s important is what immediatly follows.

Smile

4 Nov 2010     

olgumco
Colombia

If you want to know the global price, it is to say the price of both things, you should ask "How much are an apple AND a cake?" because you are connecting the elements with the conjunction AND, which means you are referring to two elements.  In contrast, if you want to know the price of each item, you should ask "How much is an apple and how much is a cake?"

A list, therefore, implies plurality and that requires the proper structure. Remember there are serious differences between written and spoken language. The former allows flexibility, the latter demands accuracy. 

4 Nov 2010     

Hanni9
Vietnam

Thanks all of you. 

5 Nov 2010