Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Present Continuous - Daily routine.    

Present Continuous - Daily routine.

Tatyana83
Armenia

Present Continuous - Daily routine.

Dear Teachers Please Help:

Can I say about daily routine:

I�m having breakfast at 5.10 every day-

When I mean THE MIDDLE of the process.

CAN I USE present CONTINUOUS?

5 Nov 2010      

davemkbarcelona
Spain

Hi,

No, I�m having breakfast at 5.10 everyday is grammatically incorrect unless you are physically eating the food (in the process) of doing the action and then yes, you can use PC.

Present Simple would be, I have breakfast at 5.10 everyday (if you are not in the process).

Hope that helps.

David
Barcelona

5 Nov 2010     

Tatyana83
Armenia

If i �m not in the proscess I MEAN THE BEGUINNING! Of ACTION/ AM I right? Anyway THANK YOU

5 Nov 2010     

mariajoaopt
Portugal

Hi,

No, I�m having breakfast at 5.10 everyday is grammatically incorrect.

We use the present simple to describe general facts, repeated actions and habits, and facts that are always true.

So, the correct answer is I have breakfast at 5.10 everyday.

Everyday, means each day of the week, so is something that you do constantly, it�s a repeated action , that�s why you have use the present simple instead continuous.

HOPE THAT HELPS

5 Nov 2010     

Tatyana83
Armenia

Dear mariajoaopt,
 so EVEN IF I strat having Brakfast at 5. and as a result at 5.10 - I �m in the process (I �m having it.) On the daily BASIS I SHOULD SAY :
I have breakfast at 5.10. every day. (THOUGH It �s not the BEGUINNING of the action)
DO YOU MEAN THAT?

5 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

First, I �d like to remind my friends here that "everyday" is incorrect in these examples. Tatyana correctly used the adverbial phrase "every day", which means "each day". The adjective "everyday" means "ordinary" (I wear my everyday clothes to school, but I dress up for special events). This is a common error in English, even (or maybe especially) among native speakers.

Since Tatyana �s original question was about "the middle of the process", then the present continuous is correct, as David said.

Bruce

5 Nov 2010     

Tatyana83
Armenia

Dear BRUCE! So EVEN  IF I MEAN THAT IT HAPPENS EVERY DAY I can use CONTINUOUS(!)

I �M HAVING BREAKFAST AT 5.10  EVERY DAY -
 EVERY DAY PROCESS
- NOT THE BEGUINNING OF THE ACTION.

I have breakfast at 5 o �clock every day - (I mean I START having it.)

Is everything Correct?

5 Nov 2010     

Zora
Canada

Tatiana, you cannot use the present continuous like that - your sentence does not denote an action that is happening now or a future one either. The verb tense you need is the Present Perfect Continuous.

I have been having breakfast at 7 every day.

Cheers,

5 Nov 2010     

arkel
Ireland

at 5.10 every day you �ll find me having breakfast.
At 5.10 every day I �m usually having breakfast.

I �d accept both these sentences

5 Nov 2010     

lolelozano
Argentina

" I have breakfast  5.10 ( every day ) - Even if you don�t write every day, the use of present simple tense means a habit or routine - I means you ALWAYS / sometimes / often .... have breakfast at that time. ( it�s not an to use a time expression with habits - you can do it ... of course )
In the contrary, if you say " you are having breakfast it means the actions happens at the moment of speaking - NOT every day.

I hope It helps -

have a nice day!

5 Nov 2010     

GRACI2010
Costa Rica

Hi, I suggest to use frecuency adverbs better for talking about every day routines and that is all. E.g. I usually have breakfast at 5:00 a.m. and if you want to teach Present Continuous, then use pictures of people �s daily routines and make your pupils write or speak about them E.g. She is having breakfast or they are watching T.V. Hope that helps

4 May 2013