Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

gabitza
Romania

Word of the Day

As the winner of the last game hasn �t come forward, I have been advised to put up a new word of the day and pick a new winner.

So, today �s words is

mammothrept

Make your own definition. Make it funny. Make it odd. Good luck!

Gabitza

12 Nov 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

I think she did ;o)

12 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �m going to get a reputation for a dirty mind, after last week �s "daffynition," followed by this one, but here goes:

mammo- breast, such as a mammogram

THR - The Hollywood Reporter

-ept - able, such as inept

So, mammothrept must be the ability of tabloid reporters in Hollywood to report on women �s breasts!

12 Nov 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Gabitza,
Could you tell us who the winner was please?
I missed the announcement.

Thanks

12 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

the threptosaurus was an ancient winged, lizard-like, bird-like, pterodactyl-like creature, except it was called a thrept. from mammo-immense, thrept-thrept.

12 Nov 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Evening everyone...

umm...greek word again..I know it...but...I keep my lips sealed...

12 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Gabitza,

Regina �s right (see above). Isabelle99 took the baton from you and ran with it although it �s not very clear whether she actually passed it on - which seems to be the problem with this game now that some members have complained that it �s not nice to repost the word especially when other members have such pressing concerns like asking whether �nitwit � is an adverb or a preposition.

13 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

well, is it an adverb or a preposition?? I think it �s an insult.

13 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Only a nitwit would think that "nitwit" is either an adverb or a preposition! (Okay, maybe that �s a bit harsh.) "Nitwit" is a noun meaning "stupid person," I think from "nit," louse egg and "wit," intelligence or cleverness. I �m not sure about the nit part, though; it could have come from simple rhyming.

So who won already?

13 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

There �s no fooling you two!

13 Nov 2010