Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Prepositions.....    

Prepositions.....

blunderbuster
Germany

Prepositions.....

Hi there,

It is "in the workplace", but it is "at the same place". Why is that? Does anyone know?

Regards

13 Nov 2010      

PhilipR
Thailand

It �s possible to use �at the workplace � and �in the same place �. English is flexible...

(I�m sure you�ll find examples online. Sorry I couldn�t be bothered with grammar on a Saturday night.)

13 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thanks. So, "in the same place" & "at the same place"? Also for emotional situations?

13 Nov 2010     

inciska
Turkey

I guess we could use "in" if the place is a covered area, I mean, with walls and roof :D And "at" if the place is either open area or if we are not in the place, but by, next to, near or around it. I dont know if this is the exact rule, but I came up with it..

13 Nov 2010     

kodora
Greece

Have a look at this,scroll down the page and look at the text box
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/at#p008-000961216
Have a nice weekend
Dora

13 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Really, inciska? How about at school, have you heard this one before?
CheersSmile
Sophia

13 Nov 2010     

inciska
Turkey

Can �t you also say "in the school" when you are exactly inside the school? if you say "at school" you are not necessarily inside the school. you could be in the garden/yard of the school or just in front of it, as well as inside it. But if you are inside and you want to emphasize where you stand exactly, it should be "in the school", I think.

13 Nov 2010