Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help with movies easy ones for students    

Help with movies easy ones for students

Missfrancisca
Spain

Help with movies easy ones for students

Dear friends, I am looking for easy movies to be watched by my A2 pre-intermediate level students, what I find it is difficult for them, I hope you can give me some titles. Thanks in advance.

13 Nov 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

last year I watched Twilight with my A2 - A2+ pupils (13-14 years old) - Harry Potter is also fine with A2 pupils...
Even if they might have a hard time understanding everything, when they know the movie - either because they have already watched it, or because they know the story - it becomes easier...
but maybe instead of watching movies, you could first try to use TV series, they are shorter and it might be easier...
it also depends on the themes you want to work on... do you have any specific ideas in mind?
have a nice week-end!
Elodie

13 Nov 2010     

calixa2
Canada

Tips:

- Use shorter clips.
- Work on difficult vocabulary before viewing the movie or the clip.
- Give a viewing intention.
- Play the clip a second time, if necessary.
- When using a DVD, try adding the substitles in English for extra support.
- Comics, comedies and action movies are easier for second language learners to understand.

Good shows and movies:
The Cosby Show (clean, fun with good moral)
 Mr.Bean (One of my favourites, not a lot of speaking)
The Haunted Hour (Halloween)
The Haunted Mansion (Halloween)
Elf (Christmas)
Shrek the Halls (Christmas)
Paul Bart Mall Cop (Ameriacan Thanksgiving, Chritsmas, really funny)
Akheelah and the Bee (perseverance)
Ella Enchanted (funny, fairy tale genre)

14 Nov 2010     

mer.pastor
Spain

I �d recommend MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING. The film is enjoyable and nice for students, it is extremelly easy to understand so you �ll only need to explain a few things, like what Brownies -the girl scouts- are... There are very few scenes -dialogues between the Greek relatives- they may find it difficult to understand.

As for series, The Golden Ladies are also quite useful with elementary or pre-intermediate students.

And... Why don`t you try Wallace & Gromit? they are for kids but adults also enjoy them!!!

Hope you �ll find some use to this tips.

14 Nov 2010     

cortneyfields
United States

I agree with mer.pastor about Wallace & Gromit.  I think the dialogue is fairly short so it is easier to understand.

14 Nov 2010     

izulia
China

I like The Little Princess (the latest version) The dialogues are easy for ESL learners and the plot is quite touching.
I also like using Shrek and my students love it. :)

14 Nov 2010     

Lancillotta:
Italy

You may use Madagascar 1,
or you may like this site : it offers short clips with activities.
It could  give some ideas:

Regards

Have a nice day,
sabrina

14 Nov 2010     

yolprica
Spain

My 13-14 students loved Mamma Mia. A musical with an easy to follow plot.
Yolanda

14 Nov 2010     

amyi
France

I �m about to start on "Bend it like Beckham".  It �s a great story!

14 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I love Mr Bean - it �s great for developing related vocabulary before and after the show without having the pressure of having to learn the vocabulary to understand the program.  After viewing you can use the vocab to tell or write a simple recount. Actually, it�s great with mixed level classes because you can grade the activities accordingly.

Cheers

Jayho

14 Nov 2010