Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Older sister, younger sister and ...    

Older sister, younger sister and ...

izulia
China

Older sister, younger sister and ...

Hello, I need your help please.  am writing a shorter version of a traditional Korean story and I �m not sure which word to use in the following sentence:

The oldest sister ran away, the youngest sister ran away too, but the  .......... sister stayed with her father and helped him out.  

Can you say the middle sister?
Thank you in advance for your help!

14 Nov 2010      

subzeroking
Iran

We use the term "middle child" often enough, so I assume "the middle sister" would be OK to use.  

14 Nov 2010     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

I �m not Korean, but I know that they have different terms for older and younger sisters and brothers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_pronouns

I think, in this situation it �s fine to say what you �ve suggested; The oldest (eldest) sister ran away, the youngest sister ran away too, but the middle sister stayed with her father...

14 Nov 2010     

sonrisasdefresa
Spain

you also can say, but the middle one stayed with her father...

14 Nov 2010     

lshorton99
China

Middle sister is fine!

Lindsey

14 Nov 2010     

izulia
China

Thank you very much for your help!

14 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

In case you missed sonrisasdefresa �s point, the word "sister" is used heavily here, so you might want to say "the middle one" instead of repeating "sister" again. Either way is good.

Bruce

14 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Zulia

Middle sister - middle one - yes, as Bruce said, both of these are fine

Cheers

Jayho

14 Nov 2010