Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Comma    

Comma

MoodyMoody
United States

This whole discussion reminds me of Eats, Shoots and Leaves...

18 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

I see your point, almaz, and, if the meaning you �re trying to convey is Mom told G and T that P got married and D went to the bank (where both "P got married" and "D went to the bank" are the objects of told) , then your suggestion about using "that" is correct.
But what if what I �m trying to describe are two different actions happening at the same time: 1.Mom told G and T that P got married 2.D went to the bank.? Don �t you need a comma before and in that case, to avoid confusion?

P.S.: I�ll check the rest of the discussion tomorrow. Got to go to bed nowSleepy Goodnight all!

18 Nov 2010     

fidelina
Iceland

A panda enters a restaurant and then...

18 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Elpida, apart from the fact that a predicate consisting of more than one clause after the verb �tell � is often likely to engender some level of ambiguity ( �he told me his mate was married but he wasn �t �), the issue of whether to use a comma or not in this case is basically up to the style and imagination of the writer.

Moody, the author of the obnoxious little book you mention, Lynne Truss, is a journalist - not a linguist, not a teacher - who has a habit of pandering to middle class prejudices - hence the massive book sales. The only thing it has to do with this discussion is the word �comma �.

18 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Almaz, I am with you in your criticism of plagiarism.

I cannot speak for the rest of the world, but I know the situation in the United Kingdom.  Any pupil, student, or teacher who submitted to a school, college or university a written (or spoken) argument which was �lifted � from the Internet, without quoting the exact source, and giving credit to the original author, would be punished, and possibly receive zero marks.  Education establishments devote pages in the Student Handbook to combating this practice.

The reason is because the copier appears to be taking credit for an argument which actually belongs to another person.  It is not �original thought �.

This is entirely different to an individual who studies, reads, experiences, and researches a topic, and then offers a personal opinion based on these factors.  Others may think that his/her opinion is good, bad, or indifferent: but it is �original thought � and, therefore, deserves credit.

Although I find it astonishing that some ESLP Teachers appear to be casual regarding plagiarism, (even on the Forum), they are entitled to form whatever opinion that they wish.  Equally, others are entitled to form an opinion regarding the motives of those who plagiarise.

Les

18 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Tip o � the sombrero, Les. Plagiarism is theft whether it �s Argentina, Austria or Antarctica, France, Finland or Faroe. A wee acknowledgement/attribution never goes wrong. Where �s the satisfaction in taking credit for someone else �s work?

18 Nov 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

it not a matter of countries! it a matter of trying to help others when they need it! 

plagiarism? come on!  I don �t get any extra points doing this even earn money.... 

you know THIS is a waste of time!and we don �t focus our attention in what Alena needs!

here instead of a COMMA we need a  ...... LOL

BTW, I get satisfaction when I teach English, when I spend time with my family, when I share my  wss (regularly, not like you)  and collagues comments about them, etc... Not in this way I don�t need it at all
I see  you only get some satisfaction focusing your attention in this kind of things... Good for you! Wink

18 Nov 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I like apples, bananas, and berries.

The last comma in this sentence even has a name: it �s called the Oxford comma. It is, as was pointed out above, optional.

18 Nov 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

yes, you are right Philip. 
I would like to add it is also called Serial Comma or Harvard comma too.

18 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3