Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Printables in Swedish ?!?    

Printables in Swedish ?!?

lbhspatriot
Poland

Printables in Swedish ?!?

Hi Everyone!

I am an english teacher who recently started to learn Swedish (in longer perspective to be a Swedish language techer) - and that is why I have a question to all you teachers out there: Do you have any website adresses for similar materials in Swedish? or could you recommend any site with printables and exercises? Also do you have any books that would be worth checking?
Please help :)

19 Nov 2010      

libertybelle
United States

Find Cheezel!

She is from NZ or Australia and lives in Sweden.

19 Nov 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

Someone say my name????

Hi lbhspatriot  are you living in Sweden now? The bad news is that the Swedish system is well... a system all of its own, with little support for teachers in the way of set materials or even a good range of materials... and as far as I am aware there is nothing like this site in Swedish.

To the outside world Sweden has a wonderful educational system.... but from my point of view there is so much lacking in all areas... Although there seems to be a change for the better in that from next year the new law requires that all teachers are actually qualified. The fact that this was not a requirement up to now sort of explains quite a lot of what I have seen over the last few years....

If you are not currently living here, if you want to know anything about requirements for being able to teach here, drop me a PM.

The news that you are not going to want to hear is that a native Swedish teacher will 99.9% of the time always get a job over a foreigner here- especially if the subject mix is English /Swedish.

I could not get a job in a school here with 14 years experience as they next to always have the Swedish teacher teaching English. Many heads of schools will not think out of the box and actually hire someone better qualified and or a qualified native speaker. I have managed to find work with Folkuniversitetet and other places teaching adults and am now working as a modersm�lsl�rare- but that is not full time.

Of course with the new laws a few things are going to be changing- all teachers from overseas will need TISUS or Svenska B to get their qualifications evaluated to be able to work in a school from August next year. AND if they don�t think that your home qualification is good enough you will need to redo uni courses here to get your qualification accepted.

This is going to hit the International schools and bilingual schools hard as many teachers who work in them teach in their native language and have never needed Swedish- UNTIL NOW. Also many kommuns are letting go many teachers to cut costs. Last year over 150 teachers from my little kommun were left without a job. Mostly High school teachers.

Where are you with your Swedish level? SFI, Grund, SAS a or B? Most people I have heard take up to 3 years full time study to get to the fluency level required to be able to get onto the teaching courses in the first place. Some universities offer a full time extremely intensive course that some can get to TISUS level at the end of a year. Most students who do this still struggle to understand and complete coursework in a completely Swedish language speaking course.

So I guess my main question to you is:
Are you here already? If not, then WHY do you want to come here?

To be honest I gave up an awesome career at a wonderful school in London to come here to live with my partner and quite frankly if he wasn �t so fabulous,  I would have left a long time ago.

If you ARE already living here, then it makes sense to plan for a future career...
But if you are not... then why here?
:-)

Sorry to sound like the voice of doom. But the reality of trying to find work here for anyone who is not Swedish, and even for those who are is TOUGH and I don �t mean moderately hard I mean tough as in REALLY more than you could ever imagine tough.

19 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

There you are Cheezels!

Perhaps IBH wants to take a Swedish course and teach Swedish in Poland!
I don �t think a foreigner can teach Swedish to  the Swedes!
But perhaps in Poland she can teach.
I would be hard to learn a Nordic language from a book, though.

Hugs
L

19 Nov 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

If you were going to teach another language in your home country I sure would not pick Swedish! :-) It has very limited use; ie only in Sweden!

IMHO a complete waste of time and effort! When you compare other languages like Spanish which is spoken all over the world- why Swedish unless you had to because you were living here? Just curious :-)

19 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I �m curious too.
Of course, The Danes and Norwegians understand some Swedish.
Perhaps the people of Iceland and Finland too.

Now the boards of education are talking about teaching Chinese because it will soon be a big, big market.  (money, money, money...........)

19 Nov 2010     

lbhspatriot
Poland

Well I see you are very curious of my choice so I will tell you :P

I don �t live in Sweden right now and I am not trying to learn Swedish from a book, in the contrary - I currently started studying Scandinavian Studies at a University in Warsaw. It is a degree with the major in Swedish and a minor in a second nordic language.
 As I am giving private esl lessons here I was also planning to give Swedish lessons in the future. However I needed these printables for myself as I find Swedish horribly hard :)) I already speak spanish, french and german very well, and never had so many problems learning a foreign language!

I am not considering teaching swedish as my future career but the language itself will come pretty handy as I am also a law student and would like to concentrate on Scandinavian penal system (especially Swedish) since they are one of the best in the world. Also I see the limited use as an huge asset :) See not many people speak Swedish, so if you know it you are considered to be more valuable as an employee. Libertybelle is right with Chinese and so I consider Nordic languages. Poland borders Scandinavia, the market here and there is pretty good, they are part of the European Union - I thought it through well :)

But my point was, can anyone help me with the materials? :)) In Poland I can �t even get a decent book, hehe. Cheezels, thanks for all the regulations! I knew most of them but you being there gave me a better insight on the matter! I will drop you a pm for further info if you don �t mind (I couldn �t earlier on - for some reason I got a message I can �t write to you!).

20 Nov 2010