Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > SORRY!    

SORRY!

brunella
Italy

SORRY!

I �ve got a problem with "sorry"! A colleague of mine says you can �t say: "Sorry if I �m late"; according to her the correct form is: "I �m sorry if I �m late." I thought both were possible. Could someone help me? Thanks in advanceBig smile

21 Nov 2010      

libertybelle
United States

If you say - "Sorry if I �m late" that means you are not sure if you �re late or not.

(If you KNOW you are late - you say "Sorry I �m late" - or I �m sorry I �m late)

In spoken English we often drop words - so you CAN say "sorry if I �m late".

both are correct - one is just the whole sentence, yours is the spoken form.

21 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Brunella,

I agree with Libertybelle.  It �s the same in the UK.

Les

21 Nov 2010     

brunella
Italy

Therefore, if the sentence is in a letter, even if informal, it �s better to write "I �m sorry if...", isn �t it?

21 Nov 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

If you arrive late somewhere, I �d say  �I�m sorry I�m late�, �Sorry for being late � or I �m sorry for being late �.

Like LB said, �Sorry if I �m late � means you �re not quite sure if you �re late or not. I don�t really see why you would write or apologize in a letter. Or do you mean �Sorry for my late reply�/�Sorry for replying so late�?

21 Nov 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Personally I hate it when people say "I �m sorry if I hurt you" (example John Lennon �s song) Because it could imply I didn �t really hurt you. You just took offence to something!
Someitmes my husband says it and I could kill him!
Cheers Joy

21 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Would you go through w/it Joy? Are you sorry you wrote that? ;-) Ed

21 Nov 2010