Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Life and death of a group    

Life and death of a group

Mariethe House
France

Life and death of a group

After seeing and reading about so many hurt feelings on this site, I would like to share this with you that was taken from a more general article on the different cycles of a group and whose link I give below!

Stage IV: Transforming ("Adjourning")

When the purpose of the group has been achieved, or if the time for the group has expired, the group is faced with transforming. Transforming can take one of two paths: Redefinition: establishment of a new purpose and/or structure; or Disengagement, Termination, or Death. The group must decide on its future or it will proceed down a frustrating, unfulfilling path. The natural tendency for any group that has successfully achieved a full cycle is to attempt to remain together in some form in the future. The shared experience with all of its pain and joy, its meaning and insight-bonds the members of the group together.

When the purpose has changed or the time has elapsed, however, the group must disengage. Not uncommonly, groups will attempt to define ways of retaining contact after separation through letters or planned reunions in an effort to escape the pain of disengagement. But failure to disengage, to recognize that the life of the group, as its members have experienced it, has come to an end, will only lead to a hollow, unfinished feeling in the future. Even if the members were to remain in contact, or if a reunion were to occur (which seldom happens), the experience will never be the same, as the contexts of each of the members will have changed. So as the person must face the inevitability of leaving this life, members must realize that groups too must die. But if nourished, the spirit or experiences can live on.

Experience the joy of your time together!

Complete the cycle! Share good-byes without sorrow.

Treasure the uniqueness of your experience! Open yourself to the possibility that having learned here you may facilitate similar experiences elsewhere, equally unique.

http://www.asamra.army.mil/eo/eo_docs/The%20Group.htm

22 Nov 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you for sharing this!

I have seen a lot of people become disengaged, I cannot imagine that they simply decided that they had enough points....

Regards

22 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Very enlightening, dear Mariethe! Thank you for sharing!

22 Nov 2010     

stexstme
France

Salut Marieth�...
Mine �s dead. RIP.
Sylvie

22 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Hi, Sylvie!Smile

22 Nov 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

Thanks a lot Mariethe for sharing!!!! Glad to see you around dear SylvieHug

22 Nov 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi Magneto!Wink
And dear Friend Mabdel!!
Big smile

22 Nov 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

@ Sylvie I feel that life has come back again to the forumLOL

22 Nov 2010     

stexstme
France

Wink ( Still, Mabdel - what I told you via pm is still ...going on. Recovering. Slowly. )
Hugs ;o)))

22 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Well, dear Sylvie...I don �t know what you told Mabdel via pm and I won �t ask either, but, whatever it is, I do hope you recover quickly and visit more often!
 Hug

22 Nov 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Hi Sylviiiiieee! Where have you been? The society missed your pranks!

22 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >