Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > COURSE DESIGN AND BOOKS SUGGESTIONS - PLEASE, WHOEVER CAN ANSWER ME, DO IT    

COURSE DESIGN AND BOOKS SUGGESTIONS - PLEASE, WHOEVER CAN ANSWER ME, DO IT

D@N! P
Brazil

COURSE DESIGN AND BOOKS SUGGESTIONS - PLEASE, WHOEVER CAN ANSWER ME, DO IT

Hi, Dear teachers.

I need your help urgently.

An ex-student of mine is opening a small school to give some courses especially to teens and young adults who can�t have access to known courses. She called me a month ago and asked if I could help her to make a material, such as books, flashcards, tests and create an evaluation criteria. In fact, she wants me by myself to design the entire course.

To be very honest, it really scared me, first because I�m a new teacher (only 2 years) and I think I don�t have the know-how to do it. I think you must have lot of knowledge to how what works and what won�t and how to put everything in an organized and meaningful way.

And second because I think she has no idea how it is complicated and how long it would take or how much money it would cost. If you know what I mean.

So I suggest her, she could buy some books available in the market. Collections that are already divide by level of knowledge to start the courses like Macmillan ones. And from there we could create extra material such as test, projects, evaluations criteria, incorporate videos and son on. And, of course, make the course structure.

My questions are:

1 - Why do you think about her offer? Should I accept because it�s a great opportunity or should I follow my instincts?

2 � Do you think my suggestion on the books was good or bad? Why? Do you think it can work?

3 � What books can you recommend? How much are they? How can I get them?

4- Have you ever design an entire course? If yes, how does it work? Do you think it is possible to do? If so, how many people would be necessary? How long would it take?

I know I�m not asking for a simple test, but please HELP ME.  I�m completely lost.

Thanks.

24 Nov 2010      

Gia Mel
Chile

Dear D@N! P
I �ve designed a 1 semester course on machanic language for Mechanics here in my country. It �s aim was translation. Then I planned the whole semester entirely. After that I prepare the materials. Later, I multicopied all the material. Now I know exactly What I have to do, because I �ve planned day by day. It �s a lot of work, and I have 3 hours a week for one semester!!! , so think it twice! You should have the aim of the course, what you want your students to accomplish at the end of the semester, then you plan class after class and the you prepare your marials for each class.

I hope it �s helpful for you...

24 Nov 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

1 - Why do you think about her offer? Should I accept because it�s a great opportunity or should I follow my instincts?

Why is she even opening a small school if she is not planning the courses herself? This is very strange. I am worried that she is setting herself up for a big fall. Usually people who open schools have teaching experience!!!! Maybe she should be doing some private tutoring first to get the feel of how much preparation is needed.

I think that you should not accept her offer. It is hard working from someone else�s plan and it is hard planning for students and levels you have never met. You can always be around for advice...

2 � Do you think my suggestion on the books was good or bad? Why? Do you think it can work?

Using set texts are great as they follow a set structure. An inexperienced teacher will benefit from this greatly. As someone becomes more confident they can use the materials as a framework adding extra work and activities. It also saves a gazillion hours in planning time.

3 � What books can you recommend? How much are they? How can I get them?

It all depends on levels, sizes of groups etc. The best bet is for her to look at some publishing websites and look at the courses available. Most have all levels from starter to advanced. I wouldn �t go and buy a whole lot of books without definitely having a very good idea of levels and needs.

4- Have you ever design an entire course? If yes, how does it work? Do you think it is possible to do? If so, how many people would be necessary? How long would it take?

I have designed courses and it takes HOURS. I have designed courses from scratch without coursebooks and the planning took longer than the actual sessions. I have also designed courses based on text books for FCE and CAE courses as well as general English courses. When I plan, I plan to my strengths and add in things that I know will work... which is why planning for someone else can be a risky business. They might not understand or deliver what you had in mind.

I honestly think that she should try the private tuition route and gain some experience that way and build up her materials instead of jumping into something without the relevant experience.

Good luck!

24 Nov 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Opening a small (language) school is very different from opening an ice cream shop. Without experience it will be quite hard to run and manage.

How long and how hard has your friend thought about this? She should at least have an idea or some sort of business plan. 

How many students might enroll?
What would the course fees be?
How many hours per course?
Many many times per week would students attend?
Where to recruit teachers?
Who would they be? Locals? Internationals?
What about visas and taxes?
What to pay teachers?
Where to open the school? Rent? Permits?

As you can see, a lot is involved. Unless it�s in a favela where poor children are taught by volunteers and with minimal resources, customers won�t shell out big bucks or reais if the school is as shaky as the plan I see here.

BTW, if you do go ahead, just buy one of the newest editions of a course book from a well-known publisher (so it will last long) and get all the supplementary materials such as flashcards, teacher�s guide, DVDs etc. Series like English World (Macmillan),(New) Project (teens - OUP) and (new) Inside Out (adults - Macmillan) spring to mind. Much easier than writing everything yourself from scratch. Just figure out how many hours are needed to teach a book/level (often about 100 hours), and how many pages to teach each lesson.

24 Nov 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I was going to give my opinion, but after reading cheezels and PhlipR �s, there �s not much to add. They �ve covered all the points and I think you should bear in mind what they �ve said here. Good luck with making a decision ... !

24 Nov 2010