Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Sorry for coming back with the same question    

Sorry for coming back with the same question

magneto
Greece

Sorry for coming back with the same question

Hello, dear colleagues!

Sorry for coming back with the same question, but I �m not sure I �ve completely understood the rules...Is it OK to use dictionary definitions in wss if you acknowledge the source and add your own examples/ exercises?
    I �ve read the rule that states: "Please don �t take texts from other ESL websites or books, it would be unfair", but I �ve got to ask: I understand the point about texts, etc. taken from ESL books/ websites, but I �m not sure dictionary references are included, as they are acceptable, say, in academic assignments (provided you acknowledge the source and, thus, avoid plagiarism) and they are a common point of reference for all students, teachers, etc. I �m also asking because I remember reading a post by another member, saying that one of his/ her wss had been reported for including definitions taken from a dictionary.
    Sorry to be pestering you with the same questions again and again, but I �ve got to be certain.
    I �ve already got some answers from members (thank you again for your replies, by the waySmile) the last time I asked about this (http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=24343).
    I �d particularly appreciate some replies from moderators on this.

Thank you in advance for your replies and for bearing with me.
    Sorry if I �m being stupid or overly worried.

Cheers!
    magneto

25 Nov 2010      

PhilipR
Thailand

You �re kidding, right? Wink

Dictionary definitions? A worksheet full of them? Or just one in a worksheet? As far as I know dictionaries are reference books.

Take a deep breath and try to see things in perspective. Don �t panic. If all fails, a mild sedative wouldn �t hurt. Cool

Let�s not take take things too seriously. We�re just a bunch of dedicated amateurs working for peanuts anyway. Clown

25 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Well, to be precise: It �s a ws about adjective suffixes. The explanations of what these suffixes usually signify are taken from a dictionary. I �ve written my own examples (but defined the adjectives used according to a dictionary - some, not all of them) and my own exercises.
So, no, it �s not a ws full of them, but it contains quite a few.
...And one more stupid question: Are reference books considered ESL books? They �re also used by native speakers, so...Sorry, I �m confusedConfused

P.S.:...I think I �m in need of a strong sedative...generallyWacko

25 Nov 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

You �re trying to reinvent the wheel. Just use an existing wheel (dictionary). 

PS: I �d buy those meds in bulk if I were you. Beer

25 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Okey-dokey, will do that...Thumbs Up
Thanks for your answerSmile

25 Nov 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi Magneto!

When dealing with definitions I normally use the definitions provided by online dictionaries, depending on the level of the students. You know, sometimes dictionaries definitions don�t work because they include words our students haven�t learned yet, therefore I sometimes risk to write my own definitions.

I see no problem in including word definitions found on dictionaries. It�ll be nice to include references if all of them were taken from the same source though.

If the worksheet only contains words + definitions from a dictionary it�s a completely different story, and it�s to be reported for not being the member�s work.

Hope it helps and have a nice day / evening.

(Please, don�t take as many pills as recommended by Philip, you may have a serious reaction, or won�t be able to wake up on time to go to work tomorrow�)

25 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Thank you for your answer, Zailda. No, it doesn �t only contain words and definitions from a dictionary.
I �ll try to go easy on the pills, but I can �t promise anything...LOL

25 Nov 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Hi Magneto,�

as an example, I can tell you that I also made a worksheet which was based on dictionary definitions. The task included was to match the words with their definitions (which I took from several dictionaries) and I added questions to think about and discuss. The aim was to provide my students with the specific vocabulary I wanted them to know and I wanted to make it more challenging and helpful for them as I wanted to make them explain the words later in English (a simple list of words would not have been so useful). The main thing was to make the explanations clear and correct. I am a teacher, and I think I should provide my students with the proper material, not too necessarily create it, I am not here to write books or dictionaries but to learn them to work with them.�

To sum up, I don �t think that working with a dictionary in the proper way is copying or stealing. I strongly believe that the worksheet you are going to create will be ok considering the concern you are showing. BTW: My worksheet stayed not reported.�

Have a nice day, Mish

25 Nov 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I want to add that teaching the students how to use a dictionary is one of the things we are supposed to do as teachers.

@magneto: I�m sure your ws will be a useful and original work.

BTW, take it easy with your pills, are you sure you�re as good at math as you are at English? If you feel confused, just ask somebody else to prescribe the correct amount of them� LOL

EDIT: I wouldn�t take Philip�s advice; although he�s a very skilled English teacher, I doubt he�s a good doctor as well�

25 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

LOL, Zailda!...And good point about teaching our students how to use a dictionary.

Thank you for your reply, MishSmile 

25 Nov 2010