Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > days of the week    

days of the week

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

days of the week

Hi everyone!

First I want to say thank for your kind comments to my work. They give me wings.

I was just thinking about the days of the week. I have a young student and he wants to know why the week starts with Sunday and not with Monday as in our country. Does anyone know the answer �cause I couldn �t really explain it to him.

Thanks for your answers in advance. Have a nice Friday.

26 Nov 2010      

SueThom
United States

When I was growing up I always heard because that �s the day God started creating the world.  He created it in 6 days and rested on the 7th (Saturday), so Sunday �s the 1st day.

26 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I grew up on the same story as SueThom...LOL
Actually in this country a lot of people did, so here the week even starts on a Sunday..
(Yes, 8 o �clock on a Sunday, classes start...miserable us)
If you want to clarify it for the child you can say that (at least according to the bible) the Sun (day) was created before the Moon (day).

26 Nov 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

Hello:

The Bible clearly makes the Sabbath the last day of the week, but does not share how that corresponds to our 7 day week. Yet through extra-biblical sources it is possible to determine that the Sabbath at the time of Christ corresponds to our current �Saturday. � Therefore it is common Jewish and Christian practice to regard Sunday as the first day of the week (as is also evident from the Portuguese names for the week days). However, the fact that, for example, Russian uses the name "second" for Tuesday, indicates that some nations regard Monday as the first day.

In international standard ISO-8601 the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has decreed that Monday shall be the first day of the week..

Hug
Alex Carr

26 Nov 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

For me the first day of the week is Monday. It makes the most sense and I don �t believe in any sort of god anyway.

26 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

I agree with Phillip...Plus, that �s what practically happens here, as well: Pretty much everyone and everything starts working on Monday.

26 Nov 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

All calendars begin weeks with Sundays, though ... at least here!

26 Nov 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

No, Alicia, not all of them.
In my country the week starts by Monday, so the first day in the calendar is also Monday. And as far as I know, in a  lot of countries it�s the same. Wink

26 Nov 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Not here in my country - our week starts with Monday, which perfectly makes sense to me.�

26 Nov 2010     

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

Thanks for your answers.

Just another question. In the UK and USA which days are the workdays? From Monday to Friday?

26 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

Monday through Friday are the "standard" work days in the USA.

26 Nov 2010