Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Home-made clipart    

Home-made clipart

almaz
United Kingdom

Home-made clipart

What with all the arguments about what is allowed and what isn �t, I �ve been thinking recently about producing my own clipart. I �ve been incorporating my own poor daubs and scratchings relatively successfully into my lessons for so long now that I �m now wondering whether it �s worthwhile to shove them into a few uploadable worksheets. Does anyone else here do that (apart from Boydegg, of course) and if so, what sort of kit do you use? I have a fairly recent Mac, an OK scanner, a pencil, a rubber, a fine black pen and lots of white paper.

Bearing in mind that I �m essentially lazy and only marginally talented as far as drawing is concerned, what can this poor boy do? What do the people want?

All suggestions eagerly anticipated.

Alex

PS I �m talking about artwork which is not quite as �wholesome � or �pwetty � (no offence meant) as, for example, Ashley McCulloch �s stuff (by the way, I find it difficult to believe how popular Thistlegirl Designs is here - even among teachers who teach adults).

29 Nov 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Making your own drawings in Word is so easy, people just need some time to play around with it.....

I am not sure if ws with some images don �t only get downloaded for image recycling ;o)

29 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Regina, I have Word for Mac and I can �t for the life of me use a mouse the same way I use a pencil/pen. There �s not much room for work �outside the box �, so to speak.

And I have to agree with you about the image recycling thing.

29 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Hey Alex... go for it. You �ll know soon enough if people care for your artwork. Good luck. Ed

29 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Ed, I just might do that...and may God have mercy on yer soul!

29 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

LOL

30 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

good luck, even more if you make it free available.Hug

BTW, no need to tease people who are using Thistle designs - ( I am )
1st - people aren �t skilled enough to draw his/her own clipart
2nd - people pay to use those clips
3rd - people share them ( i do hope in the strict conditions )
4th -  "even among teachers who teach adults"  ?????  
I ask - are always adults so different ?

@ Regina, is that so easy? I don �t think. What about if you both  share a tutorial with us, explainig all those, for me , very difficult steps?

I also have a Mac, Alex. I have never had anything else - would you share what you are able to do with us?  Are you working with Photoshop?

I would apreciate any tips

Hugs
Linda

30 Nov 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

Some questions I have:

1. Isn �t Photoshop a luxury which most can �t afford? (I �d love to have it!).
2. Thistle designs (let �s admit it) are kind -of -cute, but rather -too -sweety.
3. Regina: that �s my worst fear: that people only like me for my images (and only want to recycle them!)

Alex, go for it!

30 Nov 2010     

perma
Greece

Hi almaz!
My husband bought me something like that  http://www.blahdvd.com/Hw/Trust-Slimline-Design-Tablet-TB-5300-Digitizer-digital-pen-14-x-10-2-cm-wired/TRU15356/product.htm the other day. So far i find it damn difficult to use, even though it �s a pen instead of a mouse, but i guess i just need practice. 
For simple designs why don �t you try Window �s Paint feature? What do you want photoshop for? This little gadget btw came with a program called Artweaver. It �s like window �s paint but offers you many more options.

30 Nov 2010