Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Classroom English, What do you think?    

Classroom English, What do you think?

foreverjinxed
South Africa

Classroom English, What do you think?

Hi all
I want to teach teachers some English to use in the classroom with their students. I want to teach:
Take one, and pass to the back.
to be used when handing out worksheets, etc.
Of course it �s a shortened version of:
Take one piece of paper, and pass the rest of the papers towards the back of the class.
Am I correct in assuming that �Take one, and pass to the back." could be taught and understood in English classrooms around the world? Do you have different, simple way of saying it?
Thank in advance :)

30 Nov 2010      

SueThom
United States

I �ve more often heard--and would be more likely to say--"Take one and pass the rest back."

PS I just have to say I love your avatar.  It captures my attention every time I see it.

30 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I say:

Take one and pass the rest on.

30 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree with SueThom. "Pass the rest to the back" implies that the goal is to get the rest of them to the back of the room rather than to all the students. It isn �t actually wrong, but it isn �t exact. "Toward the back" and "to the back" are not the same.

Libertybelle �s answer doesn �t give a direction, although the direction is clear by the way she hands them out, so it is also a good way of saying it.

Bruce

30 Nov 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Take one and pass the rest on to the person behind you.

30 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

If you don �t say: Take one and pass"the rest" to the back, you are asking to pass the one you took to the back not the remainder which is what I think you mean to have done. Ed

30 Nov 2010