Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > need help please!    

need help please!

ELOJOLIE274
France

need help please!

one of my pupil really likes English: he wrote on his folder "white power" "fuck off" "smoke...some...weed" and a few other delightful sentences... and in English please... I would have prefered he wrote things like "global warming" "greenhouse gases" in his notebook (the theme we are working on at the moment)...

anyway... i want to find something useful for him to do in order to punish him. I was thinking about a text on racism/"white power", a few comprehension questions / vocabulary exercices... to make him work and to make him learn what the expression "white power" means... could you help me to find a text / exercises like that!!!
we have a teacher meeting to talk about him and the class he is in on thursday and i �m in a hurry...

my pupil �s level is intermediate (A2->B1) and he �s 16.

thanks a lot my dear friends!!!
have a nice week - nicer than mine at least ;)
Elodie

30 Nov 2010      

Montypython
France

Hi dear!!!!

You might prepare a webquest for him about racism & so on.

he would have to research the topic & would learn more about it.

Take care!

Huge hugs ! 

Marie

30 Nov 2010     

brunagrebelatto
Brazil

I �ve just published something about racism and other polemic issues. Have a look, maybe it �ll fit you fine!

Hugs!
Bruna

30 Nov 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Thanks Marie... I already thought about that but then I would be punished too...Angry with the end of the term, the papers to grades, the teacher meetings to go to, i �m awfully busy... If I have to that �s what I �ll do, but I would prefer finding something ready to use, and change a few details if necessary...
have a nice evening!

30 Nov 2010     

Montypython
France

I understand very well...
well, i have plenty of stuff about Black Civil Rights but nothing on white power (i did not even know the word!).
sorry I can �t help!!!!!!
cheers!

30 Nov 2010     

i_love_english
France

just a thought...
As he tends to be interested in drugs (cf"weed"), are you sure he did not mean "white powDer"? that would demand a different type of worksheet.....

30 Nov 2010     

Errie
Japan

Maybe these websites will help you a bit?

PS: a lot of kids are just copying others and have no clue about the meaning behind a drawing or the words white power or black power.

1 Dec 2010     

tancredo
Portugal

I agree with Errie. Many of these boys only want to draw others �attention , to show them how cool they are because they want to fit in..
Anyway, I think he must be spoken to, but don �t be too harsh on him unless you have previous evidence that he is not only showing off!
Oh, these difficult issues!
Good luck for all of you!

Leonor

1 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

You need to have a conference with him and his parents (both if possible). Yes, I feel for you since it �s near the end of my semester as well. It might be, as other commenters noted, that he is just trying to be cool. In that case, just confiscate the offensive folder and administer the appropriate punishment for using profanity.

On the other hand, his comments could be an indication of drug use, gang involvement, or emotional disturbance. If that �s the case, his parents need to know about it so that they can get help for him. You won �t know unless you talk with both him and his parents. If there �s more going on, his well-being is ultimately more important than the paperwork. I get the feeling reading this that you believe that the problem is more serious than a teenaged boy posturing. You know better than I do.

1 Dec 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

I think that if you are going to punish him, you must make it a constructive punishment.  I think that some punishment must be handed out so that the rest of the class see that it is not acceptable behaviour, but I would also be worried about that child.  Either he has a lot of pent up anger - if that is the case then this must be addressed.  It could be that he is under a lot of peer pressure to conform or be part of the �in group �.  If that is the case he needs to feel empowered to stand up fr what is right.  It could also be a cry for help.

If you punish him harshly then whatever the problem is, you are going to add resentment to it and that will make it even harder to deal with.  I think you must find a way of talking with him or with a school councelor, in a relaxed setting to find out what the problem is and what motivated the writing.

It could of course mean nothing.  Sometimes we try to delve too deeply into problems and in the process agrivate them.

So my advice would be:
1.  a short constructive punishment for the class to see.
2.  an informal initial chat to try to work out what the problem is
3.  help to create for him a positive role in life - find positive traits in him and help him to beleive in himself.

Take a step back.  Sit and watch all of your students.  Look at their funny expressions and what makes them them.  I know it is a busy time of year but I often ask my teachers to do that.  It helps us to appreciate all the children for who they are and not just to react to their problems.

Best wishes

Jenny (Nombasa)

1 Dec 2010