Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > thank you for your help/advice    

thank you for your help/advice

ELOJOLIE274
France

thank you for your help/advice

thank you to those who replied! (see the thread http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=24692)
I �m indeed worried about this boy, and worried about what it might do to my class... I teach in a high school with students coming from different backgrounds, many of whom have parents/grandparents who arrived in France in the last 50 years (from Italy, Maroc, Tunisia, Turkey...). My fellow teachers told me to be careful about that, since students tend to stay with the people they are close to, so white students tend to stay together, Arabs stay together...
this boy wrote "white power" but I do think he knows what he �s doing because this is what the O of power looked like:

and it looks like a target, right? I do seem to remember that "slogan" is used by the neo-nazis...
but you are right, I will not punish him harshly, my point is only to teach him that racism/hate is not the solution... according to the English teacher he had last year (he is repeating his year) he used to be fine, but something happened at the end of the year: he stopped working, mis-behaved... so maybe he �s part of a gang...
If you have any more advice, feel free to leave a message...
have a nice wednesday!

1 Dec 2010      

donapeter
Romania

I also teach teenagers in a high school - a technical college (meaning there are 80% boys). I know they try to make themselves noticed in front of their mates, in front of us. I found " Smoke weed" written on the blackboard when I entered the classroom last week but I just ignored it. I know who wrote it there and I know that boy being an inoffensive one but as he comes from a troubled family he just tries to be different. I am just tired to see their cries for attention : almost all of them have problems at home, divorced parents, alcoholic parents etc etc. They come to school and they need to get attention, they try to be different. 
We have strict rules regarding smoking and the use of any harmful beverage ( we are not allowed to have around the schools shops that sell chocolate, coffee, energizers etc) but I am sure we have some kids doing drugs.But we haven �t had problems so far. 
Regarding racism........we have gypsies! I taught gypsies for 5 years and I had nooooo problems with them. Or maybe only minor problems that can be met at the other students too. 

My point is that it is quite difficult for a teenager to understand WHY he/she hates someone else. If you ask him , he will find it difficult to explain. 

Solution: I have a volunteering club, we had some projects with donations and some activities for the gypsies , in their area, and all the students acted perfect and they all understood how things go! 
Without personal involvement we can �t prove anything. Words are not enough.  Preachers are not enough.

1 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Clap

1 Dec 2010