Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Parking instead of car park - borrowing words    

Parking instead of car park - borrowing words

colibrita
United Kingdom

Parking instead of car park - borrowing words

Hi Everyone,

What do you call words taken from another language and then used with a different meaning, (albeit often with a very close connection to the original)?

For example the Spanish have taken the word "parking" and that �s what they call car parks.
Another example: when they �re talking about going jogging they say "hacer footing". They honestly belive that "footing" is the word we use for jogging!

Anyway I was wondering if there happened to be an actual linguistic term for these words.

Thanks

Colibrita

5 Dec 2010      

monicap_87
El Salvador

Hi :)

The name of this process is linguistic borrowing and it is very common all over the world.  Borrowing happens in all languages :) The term of the word is: loan word. :) Yoiu can google it for extra information about the process :)

P.S: Most times the speakers who use loan words do not think that this is how the word is said in the language they took it from, in most cases, the speaker doesn�t even know the word has been borrowed from a different language! :O

Monica

5 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Loanword is usually used, but things like �footing � (also used in French) smacks of pseudo-anglicism.

5 Dec 2010     

valenaug
France

In France, we say that �s an anglicism, a word taken from the english language but that has a different meaning ! my students often say "baskets" instead of �trainers/sneakers � because that �s what we say in French !

5 Dec 2010     

valenaug
France

In France, we say that �s an anglicism, a word taken from the english language but that has a different meaning ! my students often say "baskets" instead of �trainers/sneakers � because that �s what we say in French !

5 Dec 2010     

carinaluc
Argentina

In Argentina we have the same problem.  People use the word �ticket � to mean �receipt �, so our students often mix up both terms.  Another problem is �jogging � because we use it to mean �tracksuit �.  There are other words which have been borrowed from the English language and are used correctly, yet my students have no idea they are actually English words, for example bar, pub, sandwich, living (short for living-room) among others.
Hugs
Carina

5 Dec 2010     

lisa.weix
Austria

In German we call a mobile/cell phone "Handy" (well, "Mobiltelefon", too, but not really in everyday life...) - it takes a while to get the kids to use the correct words in their English classes ;o). These words are interesting, aren�t they? Especially the words that are "borrowed" because there is no term in your own language, like "Schadenfreude" ... not really a compliment to the German/Austrian character ... :o)
Have a great Sunday,
best wishes to you all,
Elisabeth.

5 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

Actually, Elisabeth, maybe the existence of the word "Schadenfreude" shows that your Teutonic character is honest enough to admit to the existence of the feeling behind the word. The feeling is certainly universal. Also, the German system of shoving words together isn �t so common in other languages, so the formation of such a word wouldn �t work as smoothly.

Bruce

5 Dec 2010     

lisa.weix
Austria

Thanks for your comforting words, dear Bruce! :o) How very kind of you!
Good night, don�t let the bed bugs bite...

5 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

Actually, Elisabeth, "don �t let the bedbugs bite" is very appropriate, because southwestern Ohio has been infested with bedbugs for about the past year. It �s not something that we want to be known for, but it appears on the national news at times.

Bruce

6 Dec 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for your responses, I think pseudo anglicism was the term I was looking for. Almaz - mua mua!

7 Dec 2010