Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > past continuous    

past continuous

perma
Greece

past continuous

hello everyone!
I �ve got a question. The following sentence appears in a book: 

"When I was going to school I loved Geography"

The author also provides the sentence in the Simple Past:

"When I went to school I loved Geography"

and asks the students to discuss the difference in meaning.
First of all, I wouldn �t personally use the Past Continuous in this sentence, so I �d like your opinion: is the first sentence grammatically correct or not?
Second, assuming it is correct, what if any is the difference in meaning?

This is a book provided by the state in Greek schools and one of the worst I �ve ever come across and I don �t trust it a bit. I generally tend to skip this task (as well as most others) and give my own material. Giving the author the benefit of a doubt, however, I thought I �d ask your opinion!

6 Dec 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

when I was going sounds more like while I was on my way there...

6 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

I agree with Anita...I �ve never seen the Past Continuous used in this way.

P.S.: Is that the same "Tsiknothursday" book?Wink

6 Dec 2010     

perma
Greece

LoL!
Which one�s the Tsiknothursday book? Probably this one, but I tend to skip a lot of stuff, so I may have missed this!
It �s the book taught at 3rd grade Junior High. 
The author is also a native speaker, hence the benefit of the doubt.

6 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

I don �t remember which one exactly it is...I think it �s the 2nd grade Junior High...It had a reference to "Tsiknothursday" (exactly like this!!!)...The people at the Pedagogical Institute have worked their magic again, right?
Let �s not forget Fun Way is still around in Primary Education ...

Don �t you just looooove the way the state supports English teaching in schools???

6 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

Both are correct grammatically, and have a slight difference in connotation. The continuous tenses emphasize a process over time. The first sentence is making a point that I was in school for a few years, and that time was important. The simple past is just a report of something that happened in the past.

Personally, I wouldn �t use either sentence, because they sound a little like the trip to school (as anitarobi said), rather than being in school. I would say "When I was in school...".

That �s how I see it.

Bruce

6 Dec 2010     

[email protected]
United Kingdom

Bruce is right - both are correct, mostly interchangeable, but the former can be used to emphasise duration.

BTW, we would prefer � When I was at school � in Br Eng.

Alex

6 Dec 2010     

perma
Greece

thanks for your answers!

So according to you it �s possible to say it, though not very good style. 
As for me, I �ll go on skipping this exercise, because my students are in no position to spot the difference in connotation! Besides I don �t see how this example will help them understand when to use the Simple Past and when to use the Past Continuous...

Have a nice day,everyone! Smile

7 Dec 2010