Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > 30 points: that magic number    

30 points: that magic number

David Lisgo
Japan

30 points: that magic number

I have seen on a number of occasions members who uploaded a few worksheets years ago, got their 30 points and then that is it.  Astonishingly we also find that not all members have uploaded their own work to reach these 30 points. I have always wondered if these people lose their premium membership if they drop below the 30 point threshold.
Can someone answer this for me?

What I would like to see is a 30 points a year premium membership. This would mean a member on 90-119 points would have the priviledge of being a premium member for 3 years, it would also mean that moderators should get a very long life but unfortunately Victor can �t help out here.
Humour aside, I would like to think my suggestion of 30 points a year for premium membership is a good one as it would encourage a more active membership, it would also not "persecute" members who have many points but no longer choose to upload. Of course Victor would have to figure out a way of implementing such a policy if it were seen as something members and he wanted.

Regards,
David

8 Dec 2010      

juliag
Japan

Hi David,

I think it �s a good idea.

It would be great to encourage more active members.

I don �t know how difficult it would be implement something like that, though.

It �ll be interesting to read other people �s opinions, and, as you say, Victor �s of course.

And nope I never use nope either! Thanks for always leaving a comment and have a great day.

Julia

8 Dec 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Making things even more difficult to manage and check? I don �t think so.

The future of the Internet lies in public domain, open source and free content (costs paid for by advertising). Let everyone download what they want without needing points and Bob �s your uncle!

No more copied uploads, less checking for copyright violations and more time to be creative. Plus quality of submitted wss will go up.

There �s clearly something wrong with the current concept where we seem to have 450K members and only a few 100 (1000?) seem to be active. Maybe the many new sign-ups expected some freebies? Who can blame them?

8 Dec 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

I hope you are right, Phillip. My fear is that (as in every other field) the Internet (in capital letters?) will be under stricter control in the future. Restrictions and censorship are boundless, it seems.

8 Dec 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

I don �t believe it would make things "more difficult to manage and check" as such a system would have to be automated.
Whereas I can see the benifits of open source for many people (teachers, students, general public), I also believe that it would lead to a greater violation of members � work by unethical publishers. It is also a policy which Victor should not implement without the explicit agreement of each member who has worksheets on this site.
Yes something seems to be wrong with the model and we keep patching it like something fro,m microsoft but there is nothing else for it.  There are other sites for public domain and free content and we can often find ESLP materials on these sites which have been stolen from members here.  There will never be an easy way.

8 Dec 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

ialso agree with you david. i think that things in life always cost something, and having experiences in the past with some people who made money by stealing our work and selling them,  i truly think that we should make them a little more difficult to have acces if they are not going to share.   i noticed a few members that earn their 30 free by uploading copy material and they lost the points but not their free ws. 

8 Dec 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

In my opinion, the main problem is "ownwership" when we are dealing with ideas and creation. Isn �t it all about learning and sharing here? Don �t we all rely on something that somebody did before us?

8 Dec 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Aren �t the best things in life supposed to be free?

Greater violation if wss for free to download for all? You �ve got to be kidding. How or why would there be more problems than we already have?

Right now it seems (some) members are very possessive of their creations, yet they don �t seem to mind giving them to all and sundry who has managed to scrounge some points together. 

If I had to choose between letting my worksheets be used by anyone around the world who likes/wants/needs them or reserve them for the happy few with some virtual ESLP points without real value, I know what I �d choose. (BTW, we could still keep the points system, even with free downloads).

@Liz: Get real, we�ll never make any money from these wss and if we were planning to do so, publishing them here would be the last thing you�d want to do.

@Pilar: More control and stricter Internet? Let�s hope not. I personally don�t think/hope the whole cyber world will become a new China (60,000 full-time censors).

8 Dec 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

I don �t want to bet here, I �d prefer to lose!

Good night all.

8 Dec 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

My dear, I don�t have time enough to be doing worksheets and I just downloaded 26 that is a small amount of worksheet downloaded. I didn�t like your idea. I think that people who are involved will always make a new work here, I also want but it�s the end of the school year in Brazill and I am crazy!!!

8 Dec 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

"Get real, we�ll never make any money from these wss and if we were planning to do so, publishing them here would be the last thing you�d want to do."

I love uploading my work here and I also publish some of the same work in workbooks. Many teachers prefer a book format to a worksheet when teaching a course. Maybe I �m crazy uploading here. By the way Philip I would be happy to be involved in a dual system, where I could choose to have a worksheet bought by points or downloaded freely. We do have such a system in place but only for 2 formats. I don �t do templates and I have only uploaded one tutorial.
Philip do you have a connection with Wikileaks?Tongue 
Flora under my idea you would already have a 3 year membership as a premium member.

8 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >