Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > weird question    

weird question

roneydirt
United States

weird question

Now I always find it interesting the aspect we Americans are thought of when we are in another country.  One we are all millionaires and live in nice homes.  I was talking about day old bread shops with my students.  They were in shock.

Besides me, how many others on here remember collecting change at the end of the month to go to the day old bread store and thought it was one of the best parts of the month.

for those that don �t know.  The day old bread store, and some had different names across America, was a place that sold bread, snacks and other stuff that had reached the expiration date on the package and a really cheap price.  As an example you buy Hostess cakes for $3.99 at the grocery store or go to these special stores and buy a package with a stamp on it expired for $1.00.  You might buy bread rich people would buy to feed the birds to have a sandwich to eat the rest of the month.  Remember Ghetto mayonaise sandwiches or straight peanutbutter sandwiches.  I remember sitting on the patio with my Grandmother disecting a moonpie to eat piece by piece.  I hope I am not the only one in this group that remembers those.

8 Dec 2010      

Mariethe House
France

very touching Hug

8 Dec 2010     

roneydirt
United States

Thanks Mariethe House...

Now it brings into another question are there day old bread shops in other countries.  special stores that sell stuff after the expiration date.  Sadly they are disappearing from America because the fear of lawsuits.  Here is a poem of memories of my childhood:

A Gourmet Sandwich from a poor family

Listen here I have something to say

Have you heard about the gourmet sandwich?

What is it you ask?

Well it is the best sandwich

It is so good it has traveled the world

Hit the hood

Hit suburbia

But it is served only at the end of the month

Why you ask�

A good question

Some of you might know

What I�m talking about

Don�t you remember?

Moms gathering in the late month

Scrapping change together

Going to the day old bread store

Buying bulk day old bread

Stuff rich people use to feed birds

But the loafs weren�t for the birds

They were needed for this sandwich

And I know you know what I�m talking about

After a day of school

After a day of playing

We come home hungry

Like many kids before us

We open the refrigerator

With a smile we see only one thing left

A sole jar

Tall

Fat

And round.

Some of you might know what I am talking about

Our mom�s come in

To make our lunch

They pull the old bread out

Now I don�t know about you

But I like my bread toasted

Remember the old burners on the oven

You take the bread

Heat the eye

Slap that bread slice down

Just long enough

Searing in the flavor

Leaving a nice tan

We lay the bread down

Pulling that jar out

Opening it up

Taking a big glob out

Spreading it on one side

Closing the bread up

Handing to us

It smelling so good

As we bite in

Mmmmm

Savoring the flavor

My mouth waters from the thought

As I bite into my

Gourmet sandwich from a poor family

My Mayonnaise Sandwich

William Roney

8 Dec 2010     

roneydirt
United States

I put a poem on but thought it took too much room so reposted this comment so it wouldn �t take so much room.  Have a look if you want and have the time.

8 Dec 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Roney

Fortunately, many of us are people of good memory - we don �t forget - that �s why we can face past and look forward to the future to come,
You reminded me of my best ham sandwich I ever ate - there is no such ham, nowadays.
Have a gourmet Christmas, though.

Kisses
Linda

Hug

8 Dec 2010     

Juliusdateach
Mexico

Hi there,

I agree on the idea that some words are mispelled or with some L1 interference even, but let �s say they �re typos.

In Mexico there are some day old bread stores, they are only from a company you may have heard of: "Bimbo"; and they sell close-to-expiratrion date bread, but that �s about it. I understand many stores give those products to charities.

I guess many of us have experienced this situation as kids; when our parents had some economical struggles. I remember my mother giving me a mayonaise sandwich, or only a piece of french bread.

Is it because of the season or are we getting sentimental? Wink

Greetings from Mexico

8 Dec 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

It is forbidden to sell food after expiration date here... It is even UNUSUAL to give the old bread, rolls and cakes to the charity or homeless!
I used to do the shopping in the local Tesco Express shop and I saw them throwing all the bread and rolls etc into a big black sack. I asked them if they give it to The Salvation Army and they answered no.
Then I suggested they should leave some bread in the nearby garage where the homeless gather... They answered: No way. They are afraid of lawsuit...
Can you imagine a homeless suing the shop for free food?? Rubbish!

On the other hand there is 1 (really ONE) organisation which asks restaurants to put the leftovers in special plastic baskets and they collect it every day and feed the homeless...
Only tens of restaurants have joined this charity...

I heard it is very common in Germany, because the restaurants have to pay a lot of money for the wastebins, so they preffer to send the food to the poor instead...

8 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Roney..There was a Enttenman �s (sp) bakery in Brooklyn on our way to the public pool and they sold day old apple pies for 50 or 75 cents back in the late 60s. It was a treat to buy a whole pie for so little and eat the whole thing before one got home. On the other hand I worked in an Italian bakery in 1972 and the owner would never ever sell anything that hadn �t sold from the day before.

8 Dec 2010     

jamiejules
France

there �s a baker near where I live , he puts day old croissants in bags and sells 6 for the price of one!! I buy them sometimes... put ham and grated cheese in them and put them in the oven...
when I was a kid we used to keep stale bread and make a cheap sweet batter at the end the month and fry the bread in the batter and I think these memories are some of the best I have of being in the kitchen with my mum!
nostalgia.....
have a lovely evening all!

8 Dec 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello, Bill,
As millionaires? I �m not sure about that. But I can tell you that a couple of years ago Americans were definitely perceived as money bags where I live (forgive my wording). 
As to that special kind of store thanks for telling I didn �t know that. Although I do remember that some of my friends who would get food packages from their relatives from America told me (or even shared some) there would be some expired items which they probably bought in that store.
We don �t have those stores in Ukraine but any supermarket has next to expiring date foods on sale every now and then. But a couple of years ago you could buy anything from baby food to any other kind of food expired, pay the full price and not even know about that because some dishonest supermarket owners were afraid of loosing a few "bucks". They made their workers erase the date and stamp a new one instead.
I �m rather young (only 35Embarrassed) but I do remember that when Soviet Union was falling apart, my parents would receive their salary in coupons not real money. They would also get coupons for some basic products that would allow us to buy only a specified amount of that product (say sugar, butter, bread, soap, even vodka, etc.) So that was a little cultural retrospective hereWink
Sophia

8 Dec 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Roney wow, did you bring back memories. I remember buying Twinkies for next  to nothing on the expired day.  I used to do the same to moonpies, too. I wanted to eat that  Marshmellow filing before anything else.
@ Ed: Which Enttenman �s do you mean? The one in East Flatbush? I grew up in Brooklyn and I remember that one. Don �t remember if they sold stuff after the expiry date had passed although.

In Greece nowadays nothing can be sold if it has expired. It can �t be given away, either.

8 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >