Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Christmas sellout?    

Christmas sellout?

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Christmas sellout?

Hello, my colleagues and friends,�

Could you, please, confirm that it is ok to say "to spend money in Christmas sellouts?" I �ve found the phrase Christmas sellouts but am not sure whether it is correct. And I am not sure with the preposition.�

Thank you very much in advance.�

Hugs, Mish

13 Dec 2010      

sulekra
Australia

Hi Mish,

I wouldn �t that term like that, I would just use christmas/holiday sales. Sellout will be in relation to whether a product is no longer in stock because all the stock has been sold (out).

A sellout is also a person or object that compromises their integrity or principles for money. Like an activist celebrity suddenly deciding to do advertisements for Nike. Luckily for me, I have no integrity left heheWink

The prepostion is correct though, in the sales...

13 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

What if the preposition is related to spend money, instead of the sales? In that case shouldn �t we use on?

13 Dec 2010     

sulekra
Australia

You �re right Magneto - we spend money on things in the sales...

13 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Sellout �, for me, is something like beliefs compromised for the sake of financial gain. I suppose that, for a certain type of Christian for example, the modern concept of Christmas has become - or always was - a bit of a �sellout �. 

Then again, a �Christmas sellout � might apply to a business where all the Christmas stock is intended to be sold out - if necessary, at massive discounts. In which case, you would �spend money on Christmas sellouts �. Still, it sounds more American than Brit (which means we �ll probably all be using it in the not too distant future).

13 Dec 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Thank you all very much.�

Adam, I must say that Christmas sales sound much better to me, I am getting the meaning of sellout now, thanks to you, Almaz and Thankyouall who explained this to me very nicely in his pm.�

Magneto, good point with the preposition, but I thought the same as Adam, he was just faster than me in his response:-)�

As always, I feel very thankful for such kind advice.�

Have a nice day, Mish

13 Dec 2010