Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Funny Sayings Part 2    

Funny Sayings Part 2

reeta1
Canada

My mother �s favorite--"Tough luck, Charlie Brown!

When I was teaching grade 5 last year, I had a student, I, who said insulting things about another girl, S. She said S was unkind because she said mean things. I said that �s like the pot calling the kettle black. I said, what? They spent the next fifteen minutes looking up that meaning on the internet. When they finally found it, I and S were adament they didn �t say unkind things. I said, people in glass houses shouldn �t throw stones.  Back to the Internet to look up what that meant. It amused them for at least 25 minutes looking up idioms on the Net.

14 Dec 2010     

Stellam
Argentina

LOL this is a great anecdote! You are a resourceful teacher, Reeta!

14 Dec 2010     

jannabanna
France

One of my colleagues comes from the north of England and she would always say:

"Well, it �s better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick!"

when we had the slightest rise in salary.  Love it!

14 Dec 2010     

junya
Ukraine

My family has created lots of sayings which meanings can�t be understood easily as they are connected with the certain story or event happened in our family. So when I was a child my babushka and great-babushka (grandma and great-grandma of course) used to say �Musya , raise your leg�. In fact my great-great-grandma had a cow called Musya and when she started milking and wanted to put a bucket under the cow, she always asked Musya to raise her leg to make it easier and clever Musya helped her. So if somebody in our family asks for help, she or he says: �Musya, raise your leg�. As for English sayings a friend of mine who is an American always says �he is a legend in his own mind� when he describes a person that thinks he is too clever but he isn�t. And when my best friend from the UK explains something to me, he always finishes his explanation with the words �easy-peasy� and I add �lemon-squeezy�.

14 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

Its great to see, the thread still up this morning and some of it �s funny or interesting replies. I especially liked junya �s story because my family likes to do the same. Heaven knows how many sayings we distort or make up ourselves! LOL

Anyways, here are some more sayings my family likes to use:

� Snug as a bug in a rug - when you want to talk about being wrapped up warm like I was last night under my blankets!

- Be as slow as molasses in January - when someone is very slow/or taking their time doing something.

And an old family favorite, well my sister �s, my cousin �s and mine Wink,  for something that is really cute, we like to say "he/she/it is so adorable that I just want to love and hug him and call him George!" LOL (yes, it is a quote from Bugs Bunny LOL)

Linda

14 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

When my daughter was baby I used to say "she  is such an itzy bitzy little thing and such a cutie pie that all I want to do is love her to death".

14 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

@ Giovanni - Ahhhh... that is so sweet.... Smile

14 Dec 2010     

douglas
United States

Yeah!  I can post messages again!

I always liked:
"You have an excellent grasp of the obvious"

It has about the same meaning as: "No sh$t, Sherlock" or "No duh!", but it sounds so much more elegant. People often don�t even realise they are being mocked. I �ve had people respond with "Thank you".Wink

Douglas

14 Dec 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

That �s a good one, DouglasSmile
Two boots are a match/pair if two people do smth similarly stupid or bad.
Sophia

14 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2