Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Don īt say, don īt do!    

Don īt say, don īt do!

pauguzman
Argentina

Don īt say, don īt do!

I came across an interesting article about the 10 things that we (teachers) shouldn īt do and say in the classroom.

have a nice day, Paula

14 Dec 2010      

Isabelucha
Portugal

thx paulita! very interesting indeed!
sometimes we do some of those, even though we don īt think a lot about it... :-)

14 Dec 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Intresting!
I īm not sure whether confiscating students� property is wrong or not I īve confiscated cell phones, cosmetic catalogues and mp3 players and it has been effective for me

14 Dec 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

@carinita, I īm with you.

Overall these tips taps into good judgement. 

Thanks for the link Paula and happy holidays! Star

14 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

Very interesting...
But judgement is called for when applying these principles, as manonski suggested...For instance, the whole confiscating business (carinitaWink)...I think confiscating things that distract students � attention (like mobile phones, etc.) and having the parents come and get them after school (or having the students get them from the headmaster īs office) really works...

Still, thanks for the link, PaulaSmile

14 Dec 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I tend to agree with Magneto.  One should use judgement.

Shut up should NEVER be used, but "Class, please be quiet."   Why not?

Again, JUDGEMENT, JUDGEMENT, JUDGEMENT!!!

Hugs from Israel

Judy

14 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, as Judy says, "Please be quiet" is necessary, and the reason given in the article was that they need to talk during group activities. Yes, they do, but not at other times. The person who wrote the article didn īt put enough thought into it.

Another was "Talk about it." What īs wrong with that?

Another was telling a student that his answer is wrong. The article suggests allowing the student to self correct. How can he if he doesn īt know his answer is wrong?

Overall, they are good suggestions, and we teachers are intelligent enough to use them wisely as suggestions, not as rules (as they were presented).

Thanks for sharing them, Paula.
Bruce

14 Dec 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I believe these tips (or rules) are meant for primary/high school classes - large groups.

I teach private groups, in average 5 students per class. Speaking in Portuguese (or your mother tongue) does not work. I tend to have complicated grammar explanations or exceptions discussions inbetween classes (out of the classroom) or in special grammar lessons (where the main focus is not oral).

Keeping conversations only in English motivates the students to speak (what they know and can, gradually improving). Using their mother tongue constantly "slaves" them into translating (or trying to) everything - at least from my experience and study.

But that īs the only "rule" from the article I īd challenge.

14 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

It īs a really interesting article Paula.   I would agree with some of the tips, but like Bruna I tend to keep the students away from using their mother tongue except when I have to explain something that is hard to understand.  

My students say I am too hard about this, but I have found that it really is helpful for the students.  In my immersion classes I also have them speak English during lunch hour.  At first they really dislike this, but as it is an immersion class they seem to understand the reasons why.  They know that the minute they step into class or see my face, mother tongue is not to be used.   Each of us has his or her own methods and I guess we have to use what we think is best for us.

14 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

Have to agree with the link. I tend to use all the rules to some extent... and have also learned that the "or else" does not work - unless I really have something good I can take away from them. It seems that the "or else I īll phone your parents..." rarely works any more as the parents that tell you "phone me if he/she misbehaves" are the students who rarely give you problems! - and the other "monsters � " parents often ignore their child īs behavior or try and defend it...

14 Dec 2010     

silvanadelval
Argentina

Thanks for sharing, Paula. Food for thought...

Silvana

14 Dec 2010