Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Join the game!! Define the WORD of the day!    

Join the game!! Define the WORD of the day!

MarionG
Netherlands

Join the game!! Define the WORD of the day!

I am honoured to be providing the new word of the day.
In case you are new to this game (and we would love some new people joining the game!!): The idea is to provide a new definition for the word. Not the real definition (we can all look it up, and some of us may even know the word), rather a definition you make up on the spot, using your associative thinking, your wit, your creativity and of course your knowledge of English and other languages. The wackier the better...... All musings are welcome. The one giving the best �daffy-nition � is chosen to provide the next word.
Since I love to enrich our practical vocabulary, I try to find words we might actually use...So here it goes, the word for today is:

obstreperous

have fun

18 Dec 2010      

eng789
Israel

The process of observing the existance of strep throat in someone.

18 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

obstreperous... obs= obstruction, treperous= to climb (from Span. trepar) therefore Obstreperous means something which is difficult to climb or overcome like the mountain of dishes after a big holiday meal.

18 Dec 2010     

Mallerenga
Spain

Well, I think the doctor said something similar when I was pregnant of my secon child: "It must be a girl! : She is so obstreperous that she won �t go out unless you promiss her a Mastercard and an iphone".

18 Dec 2010     

imanito
Morocco

obstre= obssessed
perous= from French La P�rouse (a city in Italy "Perugia")

an obstreperous is a person who loves going to and is extremely obssessed with Perugia

18 Dec 2010     

miss K.
Ukraine

Oh, you just read the doctor �s handwriting not in proper way and what he had written is osteoporosis

18 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

Mallerenga was getting close to the meaning. It clearly means "pregnant", since a pregnant woman goes to an obstrepertician.

Bruce

18 Dec 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Obstreperous

Dear Friends,

I am sorry that I have not been able to enjoy your delightful company for the past few weeks.  The truth is: I have missed you enormously!

Thank You! again and again and again for your kind wishes and your sweet remembrances which you have sent me during my absence.

It was a Happy Day in my life when my finger clicked on the Internet Website which has the prosaic name, �ESLprintables�.

Why have I been away from you?

I would like to tell you that, Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Second, has appointed me UK Minister of Education, at an annual salary of �200,000.

I would like to tell you, but unfortunately, I can�t, because it didn�t happen!

(However, she did write to tell me that I must send �200 for past Unpaid Income Tax.)

Seriously, for the past months I have been totally occupied, not only with my students, but in providing Full-Time Sick Care in my home.  I have absolutely no free time whatsoever!

And so to the �Word of the Day�, obstreperous.

Strangely, this is a Sport�s Question, and I am uniquely placed to answer it.  Why?  Because I possess many Medals for Sporting Activities.

My first was �Throwing a Ball with the Left Hand�.  The Gym Teacher was really jealous of me, because he was incapable of doing it.  He commented: �I�d give my right arm to be ambidextrous!�

My next was �Play a Tune on your Teeth with a Pencil�.  I won by rattling off Rimsky-Korsakov�s �Bum of the Flightless Bee�; followed by an encore, �The Sugar of the Fairly Plump Dancer�, by Tchaikovsky.  (Incidentally, if "A Fly" has no wings, would it be called "A Walk"?)

My next was as a Cub, at a Brownie and Cub Scout Camp: �Skipping for 10 Minutes�, (with a 5 Minute Rest every Half-Hour).

My friend, Bill Carr, was disqualified because he could not �Skip Backwards�.  He had his Medals ripped from his chest, his uniform removed, and he was then ceremoniously discharged from the Brownie Pack for impersonating a Brownie.  

Then followed Medals for �Shot Putt�; �Hammer�; �High Jump�; �400�; �800�; �1500 Metres�; �Half-Marathon� and �Marathon�.

In our Team was a Bankrupt Contortionist.  He just could not make both ends meet!  We were beside a Cash Machine and he asked me to check his Balance.  I pushed him and he fell over, so his Balance was obviously poor!

In the Javelin championships, (performed in the face of a strong wind), I was awarded a unique Medal.  I was the only contestant whose Javelin landed 3 metres behind the Starting Line!

There were Medals for Table Tennis and Badminton.  (Incidentally, in the �Badminton Horse Trials�, what crime have the horses committed?)

Finally, I won a Medal for the Pole Vault, with a huge jump.  I always felt that jumping was easy, but landing was difficult.

Did you hear about the Magician who walked on Stage, opened his Brief Case and pulled out a Pole 2 metres in length?  The audience applauded in amazement.

�I just curl up very small�, said his tall Assistant, Olga Poinatovsky, from Warsaw.  

I have said that this word, obstreperous, of Esperanto origin, is connected with Sport, (and you can see that it reads somewhat similarly to �Hop, Step and Jump�).  Those of you who have studied L.L. Zamenhof�s Esperanto Dictionary, �Esperanto in 24 Hours� will know the word intimately.

However, I read the Dictionary for only 12 Hours, (because it was my Half-Day Holiday), so I was able to read only up the letter �M�.

If I had had another hour�s reading, I would have reached  the letter �O� and I would have told you the exact meaning of obstreperous.

Sorry!
Les Douglas

19 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

You have to give it up for Les for absolutely the best non-answer!!!!!!!

19 Dec 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Les! 

19 Dec 2010