Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > it ´s me ot it ´s I?    

it ´s me ot it ´s I?

rainyp
Bangladesh

it ´s me ot it ´s I?

which one is correct?

it ´s me or it ´s I.

for example;

who is it?

it ´s me or it ´s I?

19 Dec 2010      

selene11
Russian Federation

狢 think it ´ll be more correct to say "It ´s me."

19 Dec 2010     

Apodo
Australia

You will almost always hear ´It is me. �

This is the correct form for common usage. Anyone using ´It is I � is probably trying too hard to sound correct 8-)

It is I used to be taught as the correct form but then we would have these constructions which we would never use:
 Who phoned Mary? It was he.
 Who told him about it? It was I.
 Who had the phone conversation? It must have been they.

For more more on this:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-linking-verbs.aspx

Fowler says:  "me is technically wrong in It wasn´t me etc.;
but the phrase being of its very nature colloquial, such a lapse is
of no importance".

http://http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxitsmev.html 

19 Dec 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

St. Peter is standing at the pearly gates and there is a knock.
"Who ´s there?" he asks.
"It is I."  He hears.
"Oh no," he says, "another English teacher."

Hugs from Israel

Judy

19 Dec 2010     

Faruk YILMAZ
Turkey

Actually, most comman usage is "It is me" but you can also read and see "It is I".

19 Dec 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

it is me is incorrect , because  it ´s a predicate nominate thus it has to take a subject pronoun 

19 Dec 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

Actually you can use both I and me.................

Example: It is I. used when you ´re making a formal speech. It is me. when you ´re using informal speech.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

19 Dec 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

@Liz - I beg to disagree.

It ´s me is NOT incorrect. It is absolutely acceptable and more widely used than It ´s I.

Although its´me used to be incorrect, it isn ´t considered wrong anymore, not even by the most renowned grammarians. Insisting it is wrong goes against common usage and doesn ´t take into account that languages are like living beings that evolve. The traditional It is I is actually almost extinct (and sounds weird to most).

19 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

For those who love the British series, ´Allo, ´Allo - Le Clerc always says -
It is I, Le Clerc!!!

But I agree with Phillip. As I ´ve said many times - a living language changes with use and it ´s me is more widely used today, in speaking language, than It is I.

19 Dec 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

@philips i don ´t know any of those renowned grammarians, but just because it is widely used it doesn ´t make it correct. i know many people who use drugs and at least in my country it is not correct. something acceptable it is not necessarily correct. she asked if it is correct and grammatically speaking it is not, she didnt ask if it was used. for example most african american say "i were" but that it is not correct, again, just because it is widely used doesn ´t make it correct. i teach my students that it is not strange to hear people say it, but that the proper usage  is ´i � . if not then why teach grammar rules then.  of course i am up to always learn from different opinions maybe you can give me some of those renowned grammarians names or studies, so i can read and enlight my students and myself.  

19 Dec 2010     

baiba
Latvia

A quote from Merriam-Webster dictionary:

"Me is used in many constructions where strict grammarians prescribe I. This usage is not so much ungrammatical as indicative of the shrinking range of the nominative form: me began to replace I sometime around the 16th century largely because of the pressure of word order.

I
is now chiefly used as the subject of an immediately following verb. Me occurs in every other position: absolutely <who, me?>, emphatically <me too>, and after prepositions, conjunctions, and verbs, including be <come with me> <you ´re as big as me> <it ´s me>.

Almost all usage books recognize the legitimacy of me in these positions, especially in speech; some recommend I in formal and especially written contexts after be and after as and than when the first term of the comparison is the subject of a verb."

19 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >