Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day (WOD)    

Word of the Day (WOD)

douglas
United States

Word of the Day (WOD)

Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening Everyone!

I have graciously been chosen to select the latest Word of the Day.  So, in keeping with this holiday season, the Word of the Day for today is:

hagiology

Have fun providing us with your own "wacky definiton" of hagiology, but please do not tell us the real meaning of the word.  I will select the winner and provide the real definition much later.

"Let the games begin!"

Douglas

20 Dec 2010      

ohermann
Czech Republic

It is quite a new university subject at the University of Edinburgh. Forty years ago, some of the deans and university professors at the School of Divinity and School of Philosophy who were extremely keen on cooking the traditional Scottish food called HAGGIS started disputing about it. Ten years later they came to conclusion to start this new subject at the university. And today, you can get a PhD if you are able to prepare it with the right presentation and commentary. Wink 

20 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

ohermann:LOLThumbs Up

20 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

first of all let me say Merry Christmas, and very nice word Douglas! Wink

Obviously, Hagiology is the study of historically famous and infamous "hags". The most infamous  hag being - "Henrietta the Hag" who lived in the sleepy village of Hagford.  Henrietta is accredited with being, the famous hag from the fairytale Hansel and Gretel who enticed children into her cooking pot with candy. 

20 Dec 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Hagiology is of course the study of hags.

(Though why someone would want to study frightful ugly old women, I can �t imagine.)Wacko

20 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

hag: an ugly and/or unpleasant old woman (also used to refer to witches looking like this: )

i: the word eye written in code name
ology:
a subject of study

Ergo, hagiology (n) /h�ɡaiˈɒlədʒi/: the study of the eyes of witches, which aims at determining their age, capacity for evil, etc.

ex. Hagiological studies have shown that witches with one yellow eye are the oldest and highest-ranking in dark spell effectiveness.

Evil Smile

P.S.: @Zora & Apodo: Apparently, great minds think alike - we were all posting simultaneouslySmile

20 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Fans of Johnny Quest will surely know that hagiology is of course the study of the coolest of the members of the team of adventurers, the one who knew magic and could get Johnny out of perilous situations. No I don �t mean Bandit but non-other than Johnny �s faithful sidekick Hadji. Hagiology is he study of Hadji which is offered in many Junior Colleges throughout the States.

20 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

I saw that magneto! LOL oh well, as you said "great minds think alike". Wink

20 Dec 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

I think it �s an English version of the Japanese word Hajimete, which means, first time

Sugoi konna no hajimete : this is awesome, this is the first time i saw something like this

20 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Oh drat!  Zora stole my definition!  I bet we �re both mentioned in the syllabus for famous ESL Hags of all time!  Yep - we �re just a couple of hags! LOL

20 Dec 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Here, familiarity with English transcriptions of the Hebrew language comes in handy..
Since English doesn �t have a letter equivalent in sound to the eighth Hebrew letter (a soft �g � sound), all words starting with that letter are akwardly transcribed with an �h �. (much to my students amusement)
The word �holiday �- or Holy Day- is therefore transcribed as �hag �.
It follows that �hagiology� is  the study of the  origins and customs of different religious holidays. The fact that you get to spend most of them with a couple of old hags (mother in law, her sister, her aunts and their mother) has nothing to do with the origin of the term but serves as a nice trick to remember the meaning of the word...mnemonics at work ;)

20 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >