Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > It īs all about family... the "purrfect" Christmas tale.    

It īs all about family... the "purrfect" Christmas tale.

Zora
Canada

It īs all about family... the "purrfect" Christmas tale.

I was looking through Yahoo Canada īs news today and I came across this story that brought a tear to my eye and I wanted to share it with you.

EDMONTON - She was a young, homeless single mom trying to raise a family of five, but true to the spirit of the season there was room for one more.

Esperanza had been badly injured when she was hit by a car, but the young shepherd-cross with the thick white coat was still managing to care for her newborn puppies � and a kitten � when she was found on a central Alberta reserve.

Criss Gerwing, who runs a small animal rescue group, discovered the dog earlier this month and couldn īt believe it when the canine led her to her blended brood.

"I cried because she was in such bad condition with her leg, but she was obviously nursing her puppies and this kitten," Gerwing told a media outlet.

Gerwing took the entire family to the Edmonton Humane Society, where veterinarians thought they īd have to amputate the mother dog īs bad leg.

But local vet, Dr. Milton Ness, volunteered to do a special surgery that saved Esperanza īs hind quarter.

He calls her a "special soul." Shawna Randolph at the humane society couldn īt agree more.

"She is such a sweet, sweet dog. She has such a wonderful personality," Randoph said.

"It īs amazing when you think about it. You have this dog who is just so giving of herself, caring for these newborn puppies and the kitten, making sure they were cared for even though she was obviously in a lot of pain."

Esperanza īs background is a mystery. No one has come forward to claim her, yet she īs well socialized. She īs only about one, but has had a definite taste of freedom � she loves to be outside and run around. It īs not clear how long she may have been on her own or when Jacob came onto the scene and turned on his feline charm.

The devoted mother is recovering well. She and her pups will go into foster care after the holidays until permanent homes can be found for them. But the humane society ideally would like Esperanza and Jacob to be adopted together.

Randolph said their story is especially heart-warming at this time of year.

"It īs all about family, isn īt it, at Christmas time, and here you have the ultimate family."

And Esperanza īs name bodes well for her and her furry family īs future � it means "hope" in Spanish.

20 Dec 2010      

anaisabel001
Spain

Hi Linda,
Thanks for sharing this touching story. Hug

20 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Beautiful story...Thanks for sharing...Ed

20 Dec 2010     

serene
Greece

If only people were as caring as Esperanza!

Thanks for sharing, Linda!

20 Dec 2010     

Kita19
Portugal

Hi Zora!

I love to hear stories like this one, because they show how perfect are the animals... how caring, how sweet. I couldn īt agree more with serene...

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story.

20 Dec 2010     

Amandina
Switzerland

What a wonderful story! It makes me wanna adopt all of them. Thank you for sharing and a Merry Christmas!

Amandina

20 Dec 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

Thanks so much for this!  I īm making a worksheet packet out of it as we speak!  Happy Holidays!

20 Dec 2010