Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Do kids really need homework?    

Do kids really need homework?

ellakass
Israel

Do kids really need homework?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZ4dkt4e4U

21 Dec 2010      

Zora
Canada

Must say that I have to agree with this. I teach at an English learning center and I have had, in the past, students with 3 and 4 hours of school homework daily. This is crazy. After 8 hours at school, they are asked to do another 3 hours of work! I often find myself thinking that "why send kids to school, if all the class work is sent home? What do they do at school?"  ... I don �t know... I think that I must be getting old because "in my day"... we rarely had homework, unless there was a test or midterms to study for. 

21 Dec 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

I haven �t watched the you tube clip as we don �t have uncapped internet.  I do think that there is a place for homework but I think that often teachers hand it out without thinking through what they are doing or the time implications that it may have.  It helps parents (those who are interested) to get an idea of what the child really is doing and can help to develop an independence.  I think that a number of things do need to be kept in mind.  Is the homework providing a purpose? Does the child see the benefit in the homework?  Is the homework womething that the child can do if there is not an adult at home able to supervise? It is work which is stimulating?  Is the homework developing good habits?  Is the amount of homework realistic and healthy?  Is sufficient time given for homework to be completed.
I ask my teachers to plan homework a month in advance and make it fun and thought provoking with an element of competition and self assessment. 
I posted some examples recently of the types of language activities that I often do. 

21 Dec 2010