Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A curiosity question about Xmas gingerbread men    

A curiosity question about Xmas gingerbread men

chud
Israel

A curiosity question about Xmas gingerbread men

Do they have any symbolic meaning related to Xmas somehow?

Thank you a lot.

Enjoy the tenderness of the mistletoe kiss like they do.

22 Dec 2010      

libertybelle
United States

I can only see the picture when I open this message but not on the board!  strange!

22 Dec 2010     

perma
Greece

same with me. And it �s a cute one!
No idea on the gingerbread, sorry!

22 Dec 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

http://www.kidsturncentral.com/holidays/christmas/gingerbreadtrad.htm

Have a look there ;)
Merry Christmas :)

22 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

...And here �s another suggestion: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-gingerbread-man.htm

Merry Christmas!

22 Dec 2010     

Vickiii
New Zealand

"The first gingerbread man is credited to the court of Queen Elizabeth I, who favored important visitors...with charming gingerbread likenesses of themselves...After the Grimm Brothers � tale of Hansel and Gretel described a house "made of bread," with a roof of cake and windows of barley, German bakeries began offering elaborate gingerbread houses with icing snow on the roofs, along with edible gingerbread Christmas cards and finely detailed molded cookies. Tinsmiths fashioned cookie cutters into all imaginable forms, and every woman wanted one shape that was different from anybody else �s...Most of the cookies that hung on nineteenth-century Christmas trees were at least half an inch thick and cut into animal shapes or gingerbread men..."
---"Gingerbread," Karen S. Edwards & Sharon Antle, Americana [magazine], December 1988 (p. 49+)

"For Christmas over a hundred years ago, Pennsylvania German children in Lancaster County helped cut out and decorate foot-high cookies to stand in the front of windows of their stone or brick houses. These cookie people--often gingerbread men and women iced with rows of buttons and big smiles--were a cheerful sight to snow-cold passersby. Figural cookie-making was practiced in Europe at least as far back as the sixteenth century--most of them were made using intaglio molds rather than with cutters."
---300 Years of Kitchen Collectibles, Linda Campbell Franklin, 4th edition [Books Americana:New York] 1998 (p. 183)

22 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

Thank you Vickii for the detailed reference and magneto and Kate also for the links.

I �m also facing that problem with opening the pic. I �ve probably done something wrong, when I �d tried to attach it. Sorry for that.

Have a nice Holiday!

22 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

And here is the fairy tale!

http://www.topmarks.co.uk/stories/gingerbread10.htm

22 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Thanks for the link Marie.. Ed

22 Dec 2010