Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > question tag for (I am) sentence    

question tag for (I am) sentence

halimah129
Jordan

question tag for (I am) sentence

Dear friends: I wonder wht the question tag for the sentence "I am very beautiful, ....................?" Is it "am I not?" or "amn �t I?" I really need your help. Thanks alot.

23 Dec 2010      

sona21
Czech Republic

"aren�t I ?" or " ain�t  I ?"

Merry Christmas

23 Dec 2010     

zailda
Brazil

2 possible answers: "am I not?" or "aren �t I"?

And the latter is the most common.

"Ain�t I?" is substandard, isn�t it?

23 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

I concur with zailda.

Wikipedia

Although ain �t is seldom found in formal writing, it is frequently used in more informal written settings, such as popular song lyrics.

Ain �t is obligatory in some fixed phrases, such as "You ain �t seen nothing yet".

23 Dec 2010     

zailda
Brazil

"You ain �t seen nothing yet" wouldn �t be accepted as an answer at the branch of school I work, because the use of ain �t (unless it was a test based on "substandard" English or slang) and the use of the double negative (ain �t and nothing).

23 Dec 2010     

kolesnikovich.m
Belarus

I consider the right answer is aren �t I.

23 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

"You ain �t seen nothin yet" is a popular phrase meaning that what is to come is even better.  If you say "You haven �t seen anything as yet" it doesn �t qiute have the same meaining.

23 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Ed was giving a colloquial expression. The entertainer Al Jolson used to use it frequently.

To go back to the original question, "am I not" is correct, but extremely formal, and "aren �t I" is the usual way of completing the sentence.

Bruce

23 Dec 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Yep, I �ve heard it in "Natural Born Killers". (Ed�s sentence)

23 Dec 2010     

kaz76
United Kingdom

In Scotland, we usually say the amn �t I form. However, we teach students both forms. I think maybe amn �t I was actually used before becoming aren �t I.

23 Dec 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Etymologically speaking, "ain �t" used to be the correct formal contraction of "am not" until around about the 19th century...

Scottish English still retains many interesting older forms of English that were determined as non-standard by grammarians (primarily form London & thereabouts or America). Many of these grammarians decided upon rules based upon socio economic & political lines!

Cheers,
ab

24 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >