Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD - December 23    

WOD - December 23

miss K.
Ukraine

WOD - December 23

It was a pleasent surprise to become winner. Thanks!
It turns out that to come up with a word is more difficult than to give a definition.
As this year comes to an end the next WOD begins with y too! It �s YAKKA.

You can read one funny defition at http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=25222

Merry Christmas!

23 Dec 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

Yakka...This word is a homograph.. It can mean a female yak as in : The yakka gave birth to a healthy yakkling.  It can also mean,  as the root (yak) of the word implies, a yenta (Yiddish for a gossip) as in: The yakka knew all the dirt on everyone in the small village.

23 Dec 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

everytime when I gave food to my son when he was a little boy and he didn �t wanna eat, he �d say: yakka!!!

23 Dec 2010     

stexstme
France

Hello Yana!

Yep!........

Another

Kool

Kristhmas

A.........love it!

Веселого Різдва !

23 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

Yakka - is another way to say "bullshit" Pig

yak=bull
ka=shit

An expression "What a yakka!" is frequently used by Tibetans, who have brought it to the USA.

23 Dec 2010     

Apodo
Australia

This is a common Australian word.......I �m enjoying your daffynitions so far. LOL.

23 Dec 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Aaaah yes - very common here Apodo and I think it originates from the Aboriginal langauge.

But it is also an anagram of KAYAK and that special way of falling out of the kayak when you are not paddling correctly is known as yakka

Cheers

Jayho

24 Dec 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

KAYAK was the name of my pet dog , years on end, I was about 12/ 13. How I miss him. such a tramp, with blue blood in his veins.
What a miserable, touching, terrific, awful and ........,,   sorry, Kayak,  disgusting dog he was.

he would peeeeeeeeeee,... everywhwere, any time. Wouldn �t go out to pee, if there would be a slight probability of a rain drop, would " cry" and cry and cry, may God bless him, whenever he saw the military parade.

What a Kayak -
one day he managed to stop a miltary parade - WOW -
What a laugh we had.
We were by the window and he always managed to jump up on to the windowsill, though he was kind of handicapped - he was a basset, we call them ......sausages, well, they look like.
So, yes my Hot Dog started crying like a child �s mourn and the parade stopped, every single soldier jumped down.... cause they thought they had overrun a child. He cried like a child, my Kayak.

WOW, what a dog, more than 30 years after he died, he is here, around the world in the net..pity I don �t have a photo - he was a very charming and cute dog.
Loved you, kayak, best companion

Sorry to disturb this WOD, but this was my only possibility to charm and cheer and hug  my dear Kayak

RIP
thank you for the wonderful times we shared
linda

24 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

Dear Olindalima (Linda),

I �ve been deeply touched by your story. I �m a great dog lover myself and my own dog �s behavior is a little bit similar to your Kayak �s (he gets psychotic sometimes), but I still love him very much. It �s wonderful that Kayak is still living in your heart. I �m sure, he �s had a perfect life with you, he was loved and gave love, and that �s what dogs need most of all.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I wish to you a year full of Love and Kindness.

Yours,

Liza.

24 Dec 2010